Audio Visualization - To Animated Pictures

Does Hitfilm have options for making custom audio visualizations?

I'm not talking about the stereotypical audio level display sorta thing.

I'm talking muppets.
This video shows what I'm trying to do.

The drawn cartoon characters's mouths move to the audio levels.

Is this possible in HitFilm?

Comments

• CervierCervier Website User Posts: 156 Just Starting Out

I don't believe it is, not easily anyway. But just out of curiosity, I tried something that works... after a fashion. In Express.

I put a sample video on the editor's timeline, let's pretend that was a project in its final edited form, at least as far as cutting is concerned. I went to the "audio" layout so as to have the sound level bars. I played the "project", recording the screen with an external software.

Then I imported that recorded video, changed its framerate to my project's (I had set the recorder to 25 fps but I completely ignord my request and delivered 24 fps on my first attempt, and 20 on the second) and put it in its own comp.

There, I tracked the top of one of the level bars. That transformed "sound level data" into "position data".

I made a "main comp" with the "project clip" as the bottom layer, and a couple of layers above I wanted to animate. I copied the traking data from the other comp into the "position" feature of those other layers. It took me a few seconds to find the "starting point" where to paste the data so the movement would be sinced with the audio, but afterwards, it was just a matter of removing the unwanted keyframes when I didn't want a specific layer to move.

I only got up and down moves. To change the axis, rotation the layer didn't work, obviously. If I wanted a specific layer to move, let's say on a 40° axis, I had to put it in its own comp, compy the tracking data there, and use that comp in the main one.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,043 Ambassador

@Cervier has a very clever solution (similar to one that I am using in an upcoming tutorial). Even though it only gives you position data, it's possible to still use it to affect rotation of a layer.

After the tracking data is applied to a point (Tracking Point), parent that point to another point (Tracking Parent), which will let you move and scale that position data as desired.  Make the layer that you want to auto-rotate (Rotate Layer) 3D, then open its layer properties and choose Alignment: Towards Layer, with Alignment Layer set to Tracking Point.  This will point the Z axis of the Rotate Layer toward the moving Tracking Point. To return the Rotate Layer so that it's facing the camera, open its Transform properties and set the Y value in Orientation to 90.

Now as the Tracking Point moves up and down, Rotate Layer will rotate so that its side aims at it.  Adjust the pivot point and position of Rotate Layer as needed so the rotation happens from where you want it (like the edge of a character's head as in the example video).  To control the strength of the rotation, scale the Tracking Parent point, which will scale all of the movement of Tracking Point.

• FrostDriveFrostDrive Website User Posts: 55

jsbarrett Yess! I would really appreciate the tutorial when you make it!
    As I get lost in just reading the directions. I think I understand the basic idea of using tracking points though, really genius!

Do you have a youtube channel it'll be up on?

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,043 Ambassador

FWIW, the tutorial I'm (slowly) working on won't cover the rotation portion of things. Just the techniques to get the look demonstrated here:

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,304 Ambassador

@jsbarrett random thought: I wanted a slow countdown from 5. Yes, I'm thinking "Thunderbirds."

In this case I'm going with the reboot series, which was really well done. 

edited September 2018

@Triem23 Mmmmmmmyeah, that's random all right. I have no idea how that connects to the discussion. :D

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,304 Ambassador

@jsbarrett "Audio meters in Hitfilm are go!" "Thunderbirds are go!" 

• DavlonDavlon Website User Posts: 282 Just Starting Out

@Triem23

I'd respect the work that went into Thunderbirds Are Go more if they rendered with the strings and made the models obey the laws of string physics...

@Davlon I'm actually fine without trying to make the CG character move like puppets. Note that the CHARACTERS are CGI the sets and vehicles are models, so there's a lot of complex compositing going on here.

What I appreciate is how true the tone is to the original. Thunderbirds is almost unique in being an action show where the protagonists are saving people not fighting! Personally, rewatching the original, the 1960's pacing for a 50 minute episode is a bit slow, but the 20 minute new episodes are a little too fast. I'd like to see the new series be 25 minute episodes so some things that rush a bit.