(Solved) Aspect Ratios for Project / Comps - Whats best?

Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,868 Ambassador
edited August 2018 in Post-production techniques

OK so, I suddenly noticed by aspect ration was no longer square, turns out I had changed the project to PAL Wide. When and Why would you change this. It seems most tutorials use the Square aspect ration, what is the pros and cons. Sorry bit of a newbee question, but I can't remember seeing it discussed.

Thanks let the tutorial bombing commence!!!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,285 Ambassador

PAL Wide is an old SD standard. For PAL and NTSC wide, both were developed for wide-screen DVD on wide-screen TV. This was a late addition to an existing spec. SD video was 4:3. PAL/NTSC wide use a 1.21:1 pixel aspect ratio to stretch a 4:3 image to 16:9.

In general you would only use PAL wide for a project intended to output for SD DVD. 

The two typical HD resolutions (1280x720 or 1920x1080) are both square pixels. There's HDV, which is 1440x1080 with a 1.33:1 pixel aspect ratio to fill 1920x1080. Unless you have HDV footage, you want to ignore that. 

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,868 Ambassador

Thanks @triem23 the first part of your response I knew, it's the last one that I didn't. It has me wondering why you would change it. U have answered.