Wrinkle in Time Text Effect Trouble!

thedragonfilmmaker88thedragonfilmmaker88 Website User Posts: 81 Just Starting Out

A couple months back I came across a fantastic Red Giant tutorial exploring some of the effects from Wrinkle in Time-one of my favorite effects is the distorted text effects. In AE, it uses a displacement layer with text, this is something that should easily be able to translate to Hitfilm. However, I encountered troubled while doing so! I create a plane with a fractal noise effect and made this plane the displacement source layer for a text layer. When I adjusted the horizontal and vertical displacement levels, the text simply moved back and forth. The displacement was set to luminance for both horizontal and vertical, just like in the tutorial, but the same effect from AE was not yielded. I'm not sure why, here's the tutorial I tried to follow, the text effect is discussed early on: 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador

Convert the Fractal Noise layer into a Composite Shot and it will work as expected. 

Hitfilm's render order of operations is s little different from Ae. In Hitfilm, when an effect (like Displacement) uses a "Source Layer" the Source Layer is read in its "raw" state - before Effects are calculated. In the case of your Fractal layer the raw state is the solid plane. Converting the Fractal layer to a Composite will "bake in" the Fractal Noise. The raw state of an embedded Composite is the Composite's final output. 

Keep note of this, because it applies to ANY effects using a Source Layer. 

Another option is to put the Fractal at the bottom of the main Layer Stack, a Grade Layer on top of the Fractal and the Background layer above the Grade. You'd leave the Grade and Fractal visible (this is why they are under the background). Use the Grade as the Source Layer.

A Grade layer forces a render of everything below itself, then passes this to the Grade Effects. So, again, in this case the raw Grade Layer has the rendered Fractal. 

The advantage of putting the Fractal under a Grade is easy access to the Fractal controls - you will be able to adjust the Fractal controls and see immediate updates to the Displacement. The advantage of putting the Fractal in a Composite Shot is being able to Pre-render the Fractal to improve edit and render performance. 

You can combine both workflows - start with the Grade setup to adjust the look. Once the Displacement makes you happy, convert the Fractal to a Comp, delete the Grade and relink Displacement Source Layer to the Fractal Composite and Pre-render the Comp.

Consider watching this tutorial. If memory serves I went over all the Displacement controls and discussed render order quickly. It will also demonstrate how to use Displacement for pseudo-3D effects on pictures. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,733 Ambassador

Cool tutorial.  You might look through this one for doing glitch effects in HF

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 the Red Giant tut? Yeah, that was a good one. 

The glitch tutorial Stargazer linked is another good one. Between the Red Giant tutorial, the Parallax tutorial and Glitch tutorial you'll get a good look at a whole series of different ways to use Displacement. There's also an "Annihilation" tutorial spread across Hitfilm's and Film Riot's YouTube channels that uses some Displacement. It's actually similar to the Wrinkle in Time look, but done in Hitfilm Express. 

• thedragonfilmmaker88thedragonfilmmaker88 Website User Posts: 81 Just Starting Out

@Triem23 @Stargazer54 Thank you for both of your suggestions! I've just tested out the method with the composite shot @Triem23 mentioned and it worked as it did in the tutorial.  Thanks for your input guys, I plan to use this technique in a future short film.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,444 Enthusiast

@Triem23 I might have misinterpreted what you were saying, but "You'd leave the Grade and Fractal visible (this is why they are under the background). Use the Grade as the Source Layer." isn't necessary for the final result to still work.

E.g. Text+Set Matte (Visible), Grade(Visible), Plane with Fractals etc. on it (Not visible) will work when the Set Matte is pointed at the Grade Layer and the text will have a Transparent background.

I do this when applying effects to the text, then that comp can be used elsewhere. But, that's when I've finished fiddling: the Plane is visible while setting things up to help with creating the desired result, then is turned off to hide it.

Don't know if rendering a layer to the screen buffer that's ultimately going to be completely hidden by something else, as in the OP's example, is significant, but...every little helps.

@Palacono one of us is looking at the "wrong" problem. My advice about the grade layer isn't about masking or matting, but baking in the fractal noise used as a Displacement map to distort the text shape. You're absolutely correct that a raw text layer can be a Set Matte Source, but, unless I totally mis-read the OP (possible), that's not the issue. :) 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,444 Enthusiast
    edited August 2018

@Triem23 Well, I'll admit it's more likely to be me that's got it wrong, but: yes, baking in is what I'm talking about. No need to hide the bottom Fractal layer once baked by the Grade layer. It's effective even when invisible.

1. Text +Set Matte pointing to Grade Layer (Visible)
    2. Grade Layer, just chillin' (Visible)
    3. Fractal Layer, add Effects to suit. (Invisible)

Fractal layer distorts Text layer as required, leaves background transparent (i.e only distorted text visible), so can use whole comp in another comp just as if Text was only thing there, or insert other layers between 1 and 2 as required. If 'inserted' layers cover whole screen, wouldn't see Fractal layer anyway, as per your suggestion. But Fractal is drawn somewhere then overwritten by inserted layers, wasting GPU RAM, time etc., which isn't a requirement for it to work.

That's one of the reasons why I've previously wishlisted that the Layer window is used for more than RAW views of layers, as turning on/off 'inserted' layers to see Fractal layer for adjustment - which you then have to turn on - is major PITA as there is no Solo option either. Would be nice to have the option to view selected layers with effects visible in the Layer view with a toggle, as if there was a built-in Grade Layer; because it's is doing sweet diddly squat 99.9% of the time, when it could be doing something quite useful.

• thedragonfilmmaker88thedragonfilmmaker88 Website User Posts: 81 Just Starting Out

@Palacono @Triem23 Thanks for your help guys! It would lovely if you could take a look at my most recent discussion, I need some help there as well!