Now you see me 2 Card scene

MorganStudiosMorganStudios Website User Posts: 46 Just Starting Out

I've been wanting to recreate this scene but i'm having trouble with filming the card going through the air

How would I get that shot?

Comments

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,928 Enthusiast

Could you include a video of the desired effect?

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,182 Moderator

@MorganStudios If the effect is the one I think I recall, you're talking about a close up of the card in mid air rotating as it moves in slo mo?  I'd bet dollars to donuts that was a total CG shot rendered with transparency from something like Blender and composited into appropriate footage from the scenes location.  But I could be wrong...

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

This is the scene in question:

...and I agree with @tddavis. There's likely a whole lotta CG going on with that card, and not just in the slow-mo stuff.

• MorganStudiosMorganStudios Website User Posts: 46 Just Starting Out

Yeah, that is probably it

But would you get rid of the prop card as it leaves your hand, Or would you cgi the whole hand card throw

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,182 Moderator

@MorganStudios For me, it would be far easier to mask the card after it's tossed and flying away from the hand and replace it with a CG "stunt double" card then to CG insert a card between fingers or use a cg hand and go through all the rigging and fbx importing to get a tossing motion.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,286 Ambassador

As @tddavis said, the actor probably tossed the card to the side. Another copy of that video would be placed over the main track and offset so a section of clean wall would be masked over the real card flying off screen and the CG card laid in. 

In Express this can be done pretty well with two layers, the card face and card back. Make both layers 3D and put the card back like a pixel behind the card front. Parent both layers to a 3D point and animate the point. 

Because the 3D layers are infinitely thin, they'll vanish if viewed directly from the sides. For a fast movement, motion blur might hide that. For a slow move you'll have to limit the rotation or time things so you never see the card edge on. 

In Pro (or with the 3D models add-on in Express, you could import a 3D card model with edge thickness. 

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited October 2018

Most of the card throwing and catching in that scene is legit, and done practically. Even the card bouncing off the floor was the real deal. They enhanced some shots with CG cards for when it is flying around in slow-mo and moving through sleeves and such,  but the actors spent months learning card throwing (and other magic techniques) before filming began. And yes, even in the shots where a cg card was used, the throw was done with an actual card, and they transitioned to a CG card later in the shot. There's a pretty cool BTS featurette explaining it on the blu-ray.