Reflection in window with greenscreen.

DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

I have a viewing deck in a spaceship. Out the window is space, stars and a planet.
The commander is looking out of the window and, behind him, are two people standing at a table with a hologram map on it.  I would like to reflect that scene onto the window.
Everything out of the window is added in post using greenscreen.
The problem is, of course, I have filmed the commander from behind but the reflection will be from the front.
I can only think of three ways to do it.
1) Film the same scene as close as possible from both angles.
2) Add some glass or Perspex in front of the green screen to reflect the scene. This seems to work BUT I am getting a lot of problems keying out the green.
3) Don't worry about. Use the same scene  or select 'key' reflections, lower the opacity right down and hope nobody notices.

Any other options?

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,025 Ambassador

This is a long shot (i.e. I haven't tested it), but it might work.  If you have an extra camera, you can actually record the reflection material.  Put the camera roughly where the window will be, set to a wide angle.  Record on both your main camera and the "reflection" camera at the same time.  In post, draw a garbage matte around the "reflection" camera and invert the matte to nix the camera, then key out the rest of the green normally.  And of course, use the reflection camera's footage in your ship "window" for the reflection.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,212 Ambassador

As @jsbarrett says, best thing is to record with a second camera to get the "reflection." other issue is now you probably need a second greenscreen to key actors.

A "real" reflection is a keying nightmare. 

Can you "cheat" the reflection? Ok, so, being at the window the commander is backlit. You might be able to cheat him by actually filling a copy of him with black then using Lighg Wrap for some depth. This could be used to occlude BG stars and the reflection of the hologram. That just leaves reflections a of people at the holotable as an issue... They'll be lit. 

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

Thanks @jsbarrett and @triem23.

I think I will either omit the effect or cheat it by selecting principle parts and doing a heavy blur and opacity to hide any real features. The other issue is the reflection of the baseplate (as it is brickfilming) is poor.

Thanks again

• ScottReidScottReid Website User Posts: 130

I was going to ask the same questions @DafterThings as I have a near identical scene I'm working on though my hologram is a person (my daughter). :)

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,025 Ambassador

@DafterThings Ah. Didn't realize this was a brick film. Kinda makes adding another camera just a tad tricky, unless you've got a teeny spy camera on hand.  Or perhaps you can invert a phone outside the "ship" and cover all but the camera lens with green, then key that out and so on, but that might be more work than it's worth.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,212 Ambassador

Actually, brickfilm makes this easier! You still need to shoot a reflection plate, but, assuming you can get a second camera, it's still fairly easy(ish). You could grab green foamcore or paper as a second green backdrop. So set up a frame and shoot the "main" plate, then drop in the foamcore/paper and shoot the reflection plate. Remove the temp greenscreen and do the next frame. Yeah, it's adding slow, tedious, repetitive steps, but that's par for stop motion. Easier than setting up multiple screens for live action. 

• ScottReidScottReid Website User Posts: 130

Hoping I'm not derailing the OP's thread but you've mentioned something I've never heard of before, Brickfilm.

Could someone quickly clarify what that is?

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,166 Moderator

@ScottReid :)  I was in the same boat with you, so I goggled.  Turns out the first thing that came to mind from the term "brick" was accurate.  Lego bricks.  Apparently, it's become a genre of it's own and earned a name.  Sure confused me at first too.

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

Yeah sorry. Brickfilm from the use of the little bricks.

Some of the animations are phenomenal considering the low number of articulations points in Lego.
    I use Mega Bloks/Construx  which are incredible. 2 inches (5cm) high with so much articulation.
    Again, there are some super smooth animators out there.