removing a section from the video

Hi all,

Complete film editing newb here.

I need to remove a very brief section from my video.  After several efforts no success.  What am I doing wrong?

Speak as though you were talking to a small child. :)

Thanks,

KB

Comments

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,923 Enthusiast

Do you want to remove an entire clip, parts of a clip or from the middle of a clip?

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

To identify what you're doing wrong, we need to know what you were doing.  Can you provide more details on the steps you took?

• bkburkheadbkburkhead Website User Posts: 4

From the middle of the clip.

In the trimmer window I run the video to the beginning of where I want to cut, click In point button, run the video to end of where I want to cut, click the Out point button.

Drag to timeline.

Have tried to remove section with Slice, Ripple Effect, and Selection then delete.  

No success thus far.

Greatly appreciate the video; unfortunately the audio is not working, at least for me.  Possible to get a summary of the steps outlined there?

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

There is no audio in the video. I don't have a mic on my PC. Since I have no mic I visibly selected tool(s) and used the right click context menu to select a command. Normally I would use keyboard shortcuts but that would not be visible.

In words...

1. I moved a clip from the media panel to the timeline.
    2. I positioned the playhead to a location for a cut.
    3. I selected the cut tool.
    4. I then placed a cut at the playhead location using the slice tool I just selected.
    5. I moved the playhead to a separate location in the clip.
    6. Using the still currently selected slice tool, I added another cut.
    7. Then I selected the general selection tool (the pointer).
    8. Then I selected the middle clip just created. I clicked in the header (top part) of the clip. This middle clip is the video section to be deleted. 
    9. Then I did a right click on that clip and selected delete in the menu to remove that clip from the timeline.
    10. I moved the clip on the right to butt up against the clip on the left.

That is not the only way to delete something. There is ripple delete which will move all clips from right to left. I just used one clip to keep things as basic as possible.

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions, and for the time it took to make the video.  It is greatly appreciated.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

@bkburkhead As a quick follow-up, the Trimmer panel is for taking a full-length clip and making it shorter by trimming off the ends.  It won't let you take things out of the middle.