Question about Hitfilm Express 2 EULA

ps238principal
ps238principal Website User Posts: 1
In the EULA for Hitfilm Express 2, there's a section that I'd like a little clarification on. It reads:
3.7 In the event that you produce and provide to FXHOME any text or images (“the Material”) from the use of the Software you hereby agree to release any intellectual property rights which you may have in the material to FXHOME and expressly authorise FXHOME to use the material in any manner or for any purpose whatsoever.
Is this saying that whatever I make using your software, you own the Intellectual Property Rights to it? If it's only when I "provide" such material to FXHOME, what does "provide" mean? If FXHOME sees my video on YouTube, does that count as providing it to them and then they can take it?
I'm hoping this isn't as restrictive as it seems. Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Marcin
    Marcin Website User Posts: 128 Just Starting Out
    I think it's about submitting you material to the Movie Wall.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador
    My guess is, that by posting things on the movie wall, you are giving FXhome implicit right to share and excerpt clips. This is most likely about sharing user submitted clips in blog entries, and, possible advertising use. For example, if FxHome put together a trailer for Hitfilm focusing on what users have done. It doea not mean that FxHome is claiming copyright or ownership of your work. It does mean they are free to repost movie wall submissions.
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,085 Staff
    edited February 2014
    In the EULA for Hitfilm Express 2, there's a section that I'd like a little clarification on. It reads:
    3.7 In the event that you produce and provide to FXHOME any text or images (“the Material”) from the use of the Software you hereby agree to release any intellectual property rights which you may have in the material to FXHOME and expressly authorise FXHOME to use the material in any manner or for any purpose whatsoever.
    Is this saying that whatever I make using your software, you own the Intellectual Property Rights to it? If it's only when I "provide" such material to FXHOME, what does "provide" mean? If FXHOME sees my video on YouTube, does that count as providing it to them and then they can take it?
    I'm hoping this isn't as restrictive as it seems. Thanks for your time!

It's not as restrictive as it seems at all - but it is a very valid question. 
    Firstly, this only applies to text or images which are created in the software and supplied directly to us: ie, the content itself. That could apply to an image you upload to the forum, for example, which we could theoretically use in promo materials if we wanted. We've never actually this, to my knowledge - and certainly in the case of images or specific work we'd always be likely to ask anyway before using them in any way. It's just more polite that way. :)
    In terms of the Movie Wall, this clause doesn't directly apply, because all you're providing us with there is a link to your video content. You're NOT providing us with the actual content itself. As with all YouTube/Vimeo videos, anybody can share or embed the link anywhere without needing to ask permission (if you don't want this you can disable sharing on the video itself). We don't have any rights to Movie Wall content. If we wanted to use some of it in promotional materials (eg a trailer) we would contact the creators first.
    TL;DR: nothing to worry about, you own your stuff. :)