Picture In Picture Zooming In/Out

Hello everyone,

I am very new at this great editing tool, and I have a pretty basic question about it.

Say there are two pictures, one I want to use as a background (it's the picture of a frame) and a second one I want to overlay on the former. Obviously I will have to use the picture-in-picture technique.

I was able to do it, and now I have the second picture in front of the first one (The frame). However, what I can't figure out is the following: is there away to create a zoom in or zoom out effect for the second picture?

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador

@thenormalDrop your second picture into a composite shot, then apply the Picture-in-Picture effect to that comp.  Inside the comp, keyframe the scale of the image to increase/decrease over time as you desire, and that will carry into the PiP version.

• thenormalthenormal Website User Posts: 7

Hello,

the problem I have with this method is that when I modify the scale of the second picture, it will overwrite the background one.

I posted a video which should make it all easier to understand.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador

Your video link doesn't work.

My hunch is that you put your second image into a composite shot, but you're scaling the composite shot, not the picture layer inside the composite shot.  The latter is what you want to do.  This will leave the composite shot (with PiP added) at the same size.

edited August 2018

The video should work now. 

It still says "This video is unavailable." Check your link in your original message. If you need to edit the YouTube URL, click the gear for your post to edit it.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

Alternate Workflow:

Assuming you're working in the current version of Hitfilm (More recent than Nov 2017 for Pro or May 2018 for Express) you can keyframe animate in the Editor Timeline.

Your Background should be on the lower track, your overlay should be on the upper track.

You should be able to drop the PIP effect on the top drag and adjust it in the Track Controls without using a Composite Shot.

You can ALSO directly keyframe the SCALE and POSITION parameters in the Track Controls. Reducing Scale below 100% shrinks the image. Position moves it.

Ok, I managed to do it by creating a composite shot for the main picture, and then overlaying it on top of the background picture.

Thanks for the insights