Map route reveal

327karlsson327karlsson Website User Posts: 2

Hi guys!

I've recently made a motorcycle trip in Norway and wanted to add my route to my movie. I've read all I could find on the subject but haven't found a solution that works yet. Most people use a simple mask reveal using a map with the route and one map without the route. And then "simply" animating the mask path to reveal the route. That works relatively easy when you have a straight-"ish" route but my route is kind of complex. If i would manage to use multiple masks in this project, how do I get an even speed through the reveal? I'm also going to zoom in and have the camera follow the route line. Any tips for doing this?

Link to the map in question: https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=500923887263

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,273 Ambassador

Express or Pro? You might have other options available in Pro of if you're willing to spend a little money on add-on.

The only tip for doing a mask reveal is to try and use multiple masks and finesse the timing by hand. There really isn't a "quick tip makes it automatic" way around hand-animating the mask. Period. 

With Pro, or the VFX: NEON LIGHTS add-on in Express you have Neon Path, and this is your friend. 

With Neon path you'll have to draw one detailed mask to follow your map (but leave the mask open-don't re-connect to the initial point) route from beginning to end, but, once that's done the Neon Path lets you keyframe the "Extension" of the line from Start to End. Two keyframes in linear mode is all you need.

This Javert tutorial will show you how to set up and animate an open Neon Path. Only real thing you'll probably do differently is turn off the glow in the Neon Path effect. 

There are a few other approaches using other Hitfilm tools (most of which would involve add-ons in Express) but Neon Path is the easiest by far. Any other method you might try would require hand-refining animation keyframes. It's not exaggeration to say spending the $20 USD on that Express add-on will save you two to three hours of time. 

• 327karlsson327karlsson Website User Posts: 2

Thank you for an excellent answer! Yes, I'm using Express and will definitely try the Neon Path. Thanks alot!

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

There's also the lightsword drawing technique shared by @FilmSensei, which is doable in Express:

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

And BTW, that link you shared to the map image doesn't work. It takes me to the root Photobox site.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

I also did a tutorial on how to draw a signature, which might be more appropriate because I follow a point that is keyframed instead of tracked.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,273 Ambassador

@jsbarrett @FilmSensei Jsbarrett (Justin) is absolutely correctly in that Sensei (Jay's) trick with Lightswords would also work fantastically, and is already available in Express. 

Justin, Jay, the reason I pushed Neon Path is simply because the expansion property makes it easy to animate line growth with a constant draw speed. The disadvantage of Lightsword is the line follows the animated point, not a mask contour, so karlsson WILL end up tweaking and retweaking the point keyframes for timing. But, I should have brought up the option myself.

I still feel Neon Path is the better option for this task simply because it's easier to control the speed of the drawn on path with the two Expansion keys rather than adjusting point animation. But, Justin has linked to Jay's tutorial and Jay's method won't cost $20. :)

The tutorial for Jay's "animate a signature" is here. 

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

I agree. If you can come up with the $20, animating the Neon Path is definitely the best way to go! It would give perfect control over the timing, and it would be easy to set up and adjust as necessary. Having said that, however, keyframing a lightsword effect would work as well, it would just take more time. My only question on the Neon Path method is how do you get the Neon Path to be the same width all the way across the line? I can't get it to not be tapered on one end.

@FilmSensei Under the Path category, there are Start Width and End Width properties.  Start Width defaults to 0 pixels, while End Width defaults to 3 pixels.

edited July 2018

Ah... Thanks Justin!

I have another question. When I do this very simple project, I notice the small sometimes flickering dot at the end point of the open mask. What do you think that is all about?

It's essentially a tiny bit of bleed from the other end of the line. Even though the mask is open, the line progression still loops from end to end, and for some reason that little piece is there for open masks even though Evolution is set to 0. To get rid of that, tweak the Evolution by a tiny amount, like -0.01, and that blip will go away.

edited July 2018

Makes sense! Thanks. It is probably due to the Inner Glow, and is similar to what happens with the LightSword Effect.

Edit: Actually, it happens even without the Inner Glow, but it definitely is fixed by adjusting the Evolution Property. Thanks again!