"Crazy" Visual effects

MjlnerVFX
MjlnerVFX Website User Posts: 184
So I was watching this music video by Gnarls Barkley and the tough the vfx was really interesting. 
http://vimeo.com/31445802
And that i started wondering how it was made. I mean some elements like his face is just normal footage and some other elements are simple 2D element, like the birds flying and the incecs and such. But the main part of the ink looks sooo good! I mean you could warp a image with some texture and such but how the heck have they made it? is the ink real? just warped in shape and time? If its so, then wow, really well done integrated with the footage. What do you guys think? 

Comments

• PhilWesson
    PhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast
    I have no idea, but **** that's a great video.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    Maybe a fluid generator on some program somewhere? No idea either but it does look very cool! Thanks for linking the vid.
  • MjlnerVFX
    MjlnerVFX Website User Posts: 184
    Have done a lot of research and found out that its is made in real life. Its a lot of several ink-spreads, not ink-drops (wich many programs like blender, realflow etc can generate realistic) Ink-spread is on a rough wet paper that is overexposed from behind with bright light. Its actually quite easy to make.
    Ink-drop is just ink dropped in water. 
    So ink-spread is kind of 2D and ink drop is 3D (sort of) 
    Thinking of making some ink-spreads. Would be nice to use as design element.  :D
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    So simple. I'm guessing they're using a reflection effect as the designs are symmetrical.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,951 Ambassador
    Once in awhile, in this era of digital imaging, we need to be reminded of the simple and beautiful things that can be done with practical effects. (personally, I prefer cloud tank effects to digital clouds. If I only had rooom...)