Your serial code is only valid for hitfilm express 2017

So I looked at the website and saw that my hitfilm express was WAY outdated, so I went and downloaded the latest version from here https://fxhome.com/software-install/hitfilm-express?installers[]=HitFilmExpress_x64_9.0.7813.07206.msi&installers[]=HitFilmExpress_9.0.0468.pkg
But I keep getting an error saying "Your serial code is only valid for hitfilm express 2017" do i have to update it to get the 2018 version? I thought it was free?

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,950 Enthusiast

It is free and it is still free. You must have an activation for the current Hitfilm Express. In the past each Hitfilm Express was a unique product with separate activation.

Use the same account for the current version as the previous and any expansion packs you have purchased  will carry forward to the current version,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww7cUBptBlw

• TheLocalDadTheLocalDad Website User Posts: 3

I got the download from just going to the main page, update history, and then getting the latest one, did I get the wrong one? Because mine didnt do much of that, I went to the account thing, copied my code, and pasted it into the thing asking for it, but I still get that error. Should I uninstall it and reinstall it from here? https://fxhome.com/express/verify?id=5b5a5d49d4e89221aa1e2474&campaign=westworld-to-yuma

"I went to the account thing, copied my code, "

You don't really have to to enter a serial code to activate the software. As shown in the video.  That code you copied, and did not work, might be for a different/previous Hitfilm Express version. As stated, in the past each Hitfilm Express version require unique activation, as though you never installed/activated a previous version.

You just have to log-in to your account after you have activated the current version in your account. You can do the serial code thing if you want but it is not necessary.

Just downloading the software does not activate the software into your account. You must go through the full process, as shown in the video, to have the software activated in your account.

• TheLocalDadTheLocalDad Website User Posts: 3

After re-checking the page it had another serial code that worked. Thanks for the help :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,304 Ambassador

To make a point explicit, Norman twice said "in the past...each version was a unique installation."

I believe now that Hitfilm Express is just "Hitfilm-Express-No-Version-Number-No-Year" your Hitfilm Express "2018" serial will stay consistent forever. The good news is no more juggling new serial numbers every year. The bad news is with current and future updates one can't run multiple versions of Hitfilm. The good far outweighs the bad here--since Hitfilm can now continue editing while rendering there would be no need to run multiple versions of Hitfilm. 

• SaboiyaSaboiya Website User Posts: 1

I am still confused as to how it worked, the fx home website only has one code for me even though I have downloaded hitfilm , but the code only works for hitfilm 2017?

To repeat myself from above.

"Just downloading the software does not activate the software into your account. You must go through the full process, as shown in the video, to have the software activated in your account."

Each Express version will have a separate code/activation in your account. 2017 is different than the current version.

You normally never need to enter a code. You just login into your account during activation at application startup.

• oldhipoldhip Website User Posts: 6

This is so confusing, I do need  number to activate but all i get is an error saying it is only valid for Express 17....hmmmm

• MartinovacMartinovac Website User Posts: 1

Any update on this ? Can't do it in 2019. The code doens't seem to work and there is no way to find one for my version, which probably is a later patch

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,186 Moderator

@Martinovac If you look in your account settings, it will show all versions of Hitfilm that you have ever activated under the email address you used to log in the forum.  It will also provide a link to download those installers again if needed and show the serial code for those versions.  Hope this helps.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
This discussion has been closed.