GPU/CPU Rendering

I've heard that HitFilm uses the GPU to do rendering, but if I'm exporting a video and I look in task manager, my CPU is being used at about 50% but my GPU almost never goes above 20-30%. If it was rendering with the GPU shouldn't its utilization be higher? Keep In mind, I'm rendering videos that are about 20 mins long.

My Specs:

Windows 10

HitFilm Express 2017

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.4 GHz

16 GB of DDR4 2400 Mhz

GTX 1060 6GB

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

You posted in another thread (4 years old) and an answer was there.

Hitfilm does use GPU for rendering nearly all effects. Some effects use a mix of CPU and GPU. If you don;t use effects then the GPU is not used so much. CPU is used for video file decode. File encoding (export) is done via CPU.

Utilization is what it is in Hitfilm. Nothing we can do about it.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,272 Ambassador

Ady had actually answered your question in the other thread already, but, I'll post again here. 

Hitfilm uses the CPU and GPU on rotating cycles. The CPU reads data and decompresses video along with some other things - particle physics, audio (I think) and a couple of other things. The GPU is idle at this point. Then frames pass to the GPU and the CPU idles. GPU renders effects, etc for the frame and passes back to CPU. GPU is idle while the CPU compresses frames and writes to the drive. 

So, with this handoff it's impossible to peg CPU and GPU to 100% (and such a load is actually considered undesirable).

Higher GPU utilization is indicative of complex effects. Something that's driving the GPU to 100% would be taking enough time to render where the CPU was sitting idle most of the time.

30% GPU and 50% CPU sounds about right for a project with a couple of video streams, some color grading and a couple layers of compositing and text. How complex is the project? 

• AirrocketAirrocket Website User Posts: 2

The project is quite simple. Just some added text and audio changes. I just would have expected more GPU utilization to decrease render time. Also the reason I removed my comment from the other thread from a few years ago was because I didn't think I would get an answer as what was there didn't really answer my question.

• DominicMotekaiDominicMotekai Website User Posts: 1

I am considering a much needed graphics card and CPU upgrade (Ryzen 3 2200g to Ryzen 5 2600 and Vega 8 to GTX 1660S or RTX 2060KO), and I need help deciding on which GPU is better for video editing in HitFilm Pro 11.

I assumed that an RTX graphics card would be nearly useless in video editors and not worth the extra money, and is instead targeted more at gamers who would "need" live ray tracing. So my budget for a system upgrade is $430 (minus $120 for Ryzen 5 2600 so $310), and I'm looking at an RTX 2060KO or a GTX 1660S.

I am planning on doing lots of VFX, 3D, Particle Simulation, Tracking, etc, and less of plain stuff you can do in iMovie.

Basically: do RTX graphics cards have any advantage over traditional cards, and which card would be better for video editing?

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,566 Staff
    edited April 20

@DominicMotekai Hello! As this thread is two years old, I'd advise that you'd be better off getting the answer you require by making a dedicated thread for your question (as then you can add your own title which more explicitly details what you'd like answered).

This discussion has been closed.