Ask how to apply "sadness" effect

Galex599
Galex599 Posts: 23

I've been using HITFILM EXPRESS for 3 days and I'm slowly starting to learn it. I would now like to ask you how to add to an 3-second clip an effect that makes a zoom and a black-and-white effect in a "gradual" way (from normal to black and white).

I'm not very practical with KeyFrames, so I wanted you to explain to me in a fairly detailed way if it does not create trouble.

Thanks so much (the bad English is caused by the wrong translation of GTranslator, I can't speak English, sorry).

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador

If I understand you correctly, you want take a clip with normal color and gradually transition it to a black-and-white (B&W) look, while also zooming in on the clip contents. Is that correct?

First off, I recommend reviewing this for basic info on how to keyframe things in HitFilm. (There are also two more parts to this tutorial, which I also recommend.)

For your specific situation, you can do a basic zoom effect by keyframing the scale of your clip, so that it starts at 100% and ends at some higher value (your choice, depending on what you want). If you scale too large, your clip will start to look a little soft and fuzzy as you begin to see individual pixels, so I probably wouldn't recommend going bigger than maybe 120% on a 1080p shot.

For the change from color to B&W, apply the Hue, Saturation & Lightness effect to your clip. In the effect, set keyframes on the Saturation property under the Master category. Start the shot with the Saturation at 0, and end at -100.

I hope this is clear, but if not, let me know.

• Galex599

Thanks! I will try it :)

• Galex599
    edited July 2018

But it's strange, I set 1 keyframe for Saturation at 0 and 1 keyframe for the same at -100 at end of my clip sequence but if I try to play the clip the effect doesn't appear., and I'm sure I've applied the keyframe because it's obviously on the line of the saturation effect.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@Galex599 Are you perhaps using one of the latest (say past few months) of Express or Pro?  There are setting s under the Options button in the top right of the screen for Playback and Paused Quality and Resolution.  Some of the Quality settings disable some effects by design to speed up editing and such.  Try changing from the playback ones to Draft or Final and see if the effect shows up.  It may not be your issue but it's been a pretty good bet for the past couple of months. :)

• Galex599

@tddavis ; Oh, ok, I will try this, thanks

• Galex599

@tddavis; Well! Thank you very much! That was the problem :)

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@Galex599 No problem.  You know what they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.  :)  I have seen the giants here give that same advice quite a few times do I suspected...

This discussion has been closed.