5 SIMPLE Camera Transitions

ThomasScottYTThomasScottYT Website User Posts: 13

In this video, I show you 5 SIMPLE camera transitions to help you INSTANTLY make better videos if you don't have the necessary equipment to do so. You can EASILY start practising these things TODAY, without having to spend A LOT of money.

Please comment and let me know what you thought of this video, and if you have any suggestions for future uploads.

Comments

• RiserStrikeRiserStrike Website User Posts: 17
  • TimLan635TimLan635 Website User Posts: 50 Enthusiast
  • ThomasScottYTThomasScottYT Website User Posts: 13

Many thanks, both of you, it's much appreciated.

• MorganStudiosMorganStudios Website User Posts: 46 Just Starting Out

If you gonna do the spinning one you should just do it in editing

It will look a lot cleaner 

Just a tip

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

Wow really solid demo of some great transitions. The little touches like the speed of the change seem to really sell the change. 

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

This is well put together, but I'm pedantic enough to call you out on your second transition... "PAN" is a defined term in cinematography and specifically refers to rotation of a camera left or right (relative to its lens). Rotation of the camera up and down is defined as a "TILT." Spinning the camera along the lens axis would be a "SPIN." SO that second transition, technically, isn't a "Whip Pan," but a "Whip Spin." (Incidentally, scriptwriter J. Michael Straczynski tells the tale of a table read where he noted the Director and DP kept sighing and rolling their eyes at each other during stage directions. He finally asked what the problem was. They looked at each other and, and JMS wrote it,"...And John Flynn put the script down leaned forward and said, 'Cameras don't pan up they tilt up. You've been getting that wrong for years.'")

The Spin is a lot harder (and cooler) to pull off than a Pan. And yours was really smooth.

Anyways, as I said, that's me being picky, but this is a great tips video, well put together, well edited, with a good choice of music. Keep it up!

• ThomasScottYTThomasScottYT Website User Posts: 13

Thank you, everyone, for your comments, been busy with my photography lately and will likely upload again at some point in the not too distant future. Thanks again, Thomas