Animating rectangular Masks from one side

mikakadumikakadu Website User Posts: 4

Hey, I just tried to "mark text" in Hitfilm Express with a rectangular mask. So my aim was to have the mask's position fixed on the left side and that the right side of it moves right while the left side remains in the same position. I tried changing the anchor point in combination with scale and position but always when I increase the scale the left side moves a little bit and that does simply not look like marking a text. Does anyone know how I can animate the mask in a way so that only the right side moves?
Thank you very much,

Your's sincerely, Mika 

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,029 Ambassador
    edited July 2018

You didn't mention which OS you're running, but there are keyboard shortcuts for scaling things from a single side. On the Mac, I can hold Shift-Command and click on the right side of a mask to scale it from that side, leaving the opposite side in place.  This automatically modifies both the position and scale of the mask, so if you're keyframing this over time, be sure to activate keyframes for the Position and Scale properties.

EDIT: FWIW, this is done using the Selection tool, not in Freehand Mask mode.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

I understand that marking text is a combination of circling, underlining, and highlighting text as you read. Are you looking to animate a highlighting of the text, or are you looking to do all three of these things, or am I totally confused? Of course, the latter would be the norm! :)

• mikakadumikakadu Website User Posts: 4

I just wanted to make it seem like a text marker is used. So the color of the plane below the text should change. For that I wanted to use a rectangular mask, but even though I can use shift and command in the way jsbarret said there is no feature to use this for animation properly. I could only keyframe the path of the mask and that does only allow constant keyframes and that does not look "smoothly".

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,029 Ambassador

@mikakadu As I said above, use this trick with the selection tool, not in mask mode.  This will alter the Position and Scale properties, which can be keyframed with any option you want, not just constant.  As long as the keyframe types are the same on both Position and Scale, and at the same times, all should work well. I did a quick test with default linear keyframes, and it works like a charm.

@mikakadu Here's another option: use two masks.  Make one that defines the entire shape of the area you want to highlight, then make another that overlaps it completely, with a little extra gap on the sides if you wish.  Set the second mask to Subtract, then animate it moving out of the way, which will reveal the first mask.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

Yep. You could also use an overlapping mask as well. Another way to do it would be to use the Set Matte Effect using a keyframed Plane as the matte on another Plane that is in place.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

@jsbarrett @mikakadu

This might not a job for masks. You might want mattes. 

A mask is drawing directly on a layer to define transparency.

A matte is taking information from layer B to define transparency on layer A.

So, create a plane. Resize it to be a little bigger than the text. Hide this layer, you don't need to see it. 

Add the Set Matte effect to the text. Set the Matte type to Subtract, use the plane as the Source Layer. Check the Invert box. Moving the plane layer changes the reveal of the text.

Javert shows the techniques in at least one of these. 

@Triem23 Mattes will definitely work, but for something simple I sometimes prefer masks, as they don't involve adding more layers to the stack.

@mikakadu As you can see there are several ways to get this done.  I suggest playing with all of them to become more familiar with HitFilm's tools, and see which one you prefer.