Captain America : V.01

DafterThings
DafterThings Posts: 984 Enthusiast

Some blood.

As my comment on the video says I really wanted to get the pacing right.... but it is VERY difficult when doing stop motion. You think you've waited long enough but it turns out to be half a second.

Comments

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Posts: 571 Enthusiast
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador

#readit

Nicely done, as usual!

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

Tried timing it with storyboards to get the pacing right?

I'd have thought with stop motion you have all the time in the world to adjust the pacing with the Rate Stretch tool? You can stretch or shrink any clips as required and if necessary overlay other clips at the new speed to smooth things out. E.g. say you had a clip you wanted to take 2 seconds, but you only filmed one second, then what's to stop you stretching it, or looping it, or just parts of it, then applying some other VFX effect - glow, flicker, whatever, that takes 2 seconds, over the top to make it all look intentional if the frames look too jerky?

• DafterThings

All very true and I might be missing something in the stop-motion process.

Generally I create the audio first and then animate to the audio. What I should be doing is animating extra within the same shot. Once you move the camera for a new shot you'll never line it back up again for re-shoots. Also I need to set-up new sets in the small space I have available.  Often I use an image as filler if a shot is short.

I must have watched the shot where the general says 'big' about 20 times. Never once did I notice that it is cut short until it was uploaded to YouTube. Looking back at the original video and it was like that from the start. I think I need to work on my quality control. 

@Triem23 Thanks. 

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

Animating to the audio sounds like it would work - it's good enough for everyone else - with some checking with storyboards in the form of an animatic, you should have the clip lengths you'd need more or less sorted. Although when you use J and L cuts - as you did here, that does make planning a little more complicated, but that's the point of using an animatic to sort them out.

This is all a far cry from my days using Plasticine for stop motion and  a Standard 8mm camera (Super 8 was also available, but the faster frame rate of 18fps vs 16fps for Standard 8mm meant more work for less time as film lengths were the same) and waiting 3 weeks to see the results sent back from the lab.  Animators these days don't know they're born. :D

Best of luck, oh and #readit.

• DafterThings

I did start out by acting the scenes out myself. It does help with lengths. TBH : My fault is that I take the time for most of it but then skimp on just a few more shorts. I'd like to say it is lack of time but, frankly, it's laziness.
    With the immediate feedback of cameras and software available it's something I do need to correct.

Thanks for the input (and making it worthwhile doing some extra typing :-)  

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador

Animating to audio is how most animation projects go, but it sounds like you're using audio only.  Picking up on a piece from @Palacono , I also recommend trying to use storyboards. Even if they're very quickly drawn, having something visual to go along with the audio before you start animating can help immensely when it comes to establishing timing of single shots, and pacing of sequences of shots.

• DafterThings

I do storyboard (to some degree) by splitting the dialog into different shots with stick figures.
    My problem is I make the mistake, move on and then find it too painful to set everything back up to correct it.

You re right that tighter shot prep is the way to go and more storyboarding is needed.

I'm  making less mistakes but have to decide whether this is going to be a bit of fun (with a 'good enough' attitude) or something I want to polish.

I know the calibre of the members of this community  which is why I value the feedback so highly.