car windscreen/glass effect

maneo11maneo11 Website User Posts: 125

Hey all

I was wondering if its possible to create a car windscreen/glass effect in hitfilm?

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,043 Ambassador

Your description is a bit vague. What exactly do you mean by "a car windscreen/glass effect"?  Is there a video or image you've seen recently that you can share to give a more clear example of the kind of look you want to create?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,304 Ambassador

If you're trying for reflections like a moving car for a greenscreen shot, first thing you need is two cameras. One mounted on the trunk of a car shooting back, the other on the hood shooting forward. This provides matching plates for background and reflection. 

Otherwise it's probably some masking and bezier warp to fit the video into the correct shape and a low-opacity blend, maybe with a Demult to take out shadow areas. 

• maneo11maneo11 Website User Posts: 125

Thanks @Triem23, much appreciated. @jsbarrett sorry for the vague description. I’m basically placing two live actors in a model car...that part seems relatively easy, but to place a windscreen over them to make it look like they’re actually in the car has me scratching my head.

• maneo11maneo11 Website User Posts: 125
    edited July 2018

Success. I used a grey plane (@Triem23) turned the opacity down and used a mask to get the shape of the windscreen. I haven’t messed about with it since ie to get a more reflective look but that’ll be next.