What does Hitfilm use to render?

So I donwloaded this free version (filmriot recomondation ;) ), first it didn't work because of my anti virus Avast. (wtf?)
Now that I am using it, it feels like a hybrid between how Vegas works and how AE works, which is really nice :)
I do wonder why this huge top bar is present, but ok I can live with it :D 
To the real question, I had to try something immediately, so I started cutting some clips and rendering them.
Now wile I am rendering it doesn't seem to utilize eighter my gpu or my cpu to the max, only a little bit :<
I attached a screenshot :)
pc specs:
sabertooth 990fx r2.0
amd fx-8350 (8core)
nvidia gtx 660
and 16 gb ddr3 1600 mhz (cl8) ram.
Can some one tell me whats going on? pretty plsss
greets max

Comments

• Ady
    Ady Posts: 1,531 Enthusiast
    So I donwloaded this free version (filmriot recomondation ;) ), first it didn't work because of my anti virus Avast. (wtf?)
    Now that I am using it, it feels like a hybrid between how Vegas works and how AE works, which is really nice :)
    I do wonder why this huge top bar is present, but ok I can live with it :D 
    To the real question, I had to try something immediately, so I started cutting some clips and rendering them.
    Now wile I am rendering it doesn't seem to utilize eighter my gpu or my cpu to the max, only a little bit :<
    I attached a screenshot :)
    pc specs:
    sabertooth 990fx r2.0
    amd fx-8350 (8core)
    nvidia gtx 660
    and 16 gb ddr3 1600 mhz (cl8) ram.
    Can some one tell me whats going on? pretty plsss
    greets max

Hi,
    HitFilm uses OpenGL for rendering, and this is executed on the video card. In the vast majority of cases this results in significantly better performance than if HitFilm used a software renderer on the CPU. As a consequence, there will be occasions when HitFilm doesn't need the CPU as much as it does the GPU.
    HitFilm will use as many cores as your system has available, but not necessarily all of them, or at 100%. The operating system allocates cores to the currently active threads (from all running processes) according to its own scheduler.
    There are some operations in HitFilm which will be very CPU intensive, but these operations will often be interleaved with things like disk I/O or rendering. E.g. HitFilm will use multiple cores when decoding a video, but the CPU will have to wait for the actual data to be read from disk. Another example is that HitFilm uses multiple cores for the physics simulation of particles, but when these particles are then rendered, that work goes off to the GPU.
    Generally speaking the GPU is what matters most to HitFilm's performance (assuming a modern CPU, decent amount of RAM, and decent hard disk), since as a visual effects/compositor/editor product, there is a lot of rendering going on.
    Hope this answers your question!
    Thanks,
    Ady