Inspired by a cracking tutorial check out my latest work - WIP

Andy001z
Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

https://gdurl.com/bNwD

One issue I have is I cant seem to make the light sword effect not blend with the grid map, even through the grid is an embedded comp. I've tried changing the blend modes but no luck.

Comments

• Andy001z

@hitfilmsensei hope you like where I'm going.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador

What's your layer order? On which layer(s) are you changing the blend mode?

• Andy001z

I believe I had the vector ground comp below a plane with the sword on it, which was then set to blend add, but I tried others.

• CleverTagline

If your sword layer uses the Add blend mode, then it's definitely going to look like the sword and grid are blended.  You're adding the values from the sword to the values from the grid.

I'm guessing you want the sword to sit on top of the grid, with the red core fully visible. In that case, leave your sword layer blend mode on Normal, and add the Demult effect after your lightsword.  Because your sword core is a solid red, that should stay completely opaque, and the white glow will retain its transparency.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador

@jsbarrett @Andy001z new feature in Hitfilm 8 we're overlooking... cuz it's new.

A plane can be transparent. Edit the properties of the Lightsword's plane to be transparent and the Lightsword itself should be fine with a normal blend mode without needing to mess around with Demult. I assume that's the entire reason planes can be transparent - to stick on effects like Lightsword and Lens Flares without needing blend modes or demults to comp in.

Also, the Lightsword could go on a grade layer. 

Your red Lightsword on a green plane is very MCP, program!

End of Line. 

• CleverTagline

@Triem23 @Andy001z Just tried the transparent plane idea. No go. The plane's transparency is inherited by the lightsword, so a fully transparent plane leads to a fully transparent lightsword.

• CleverTagline

And a lightsword on a grade is also completely invisible. Odd.

• Triem23

@jsbarrett damn. Here I thought I'd found a new clever thing. 

• CleverTagline

@Triem23 Believe me, I'm just as bummed. I'd all but forgotten about the added plane transparency feature, and was kind of excited to finally have a situation where it would be useful. Sadly, not yet.

• Triem23

@jsbarrett ayep. Nlw I'm not certain what the point is to transparent planes, other than not having to set an opacity. Maybe something for the Wishlist? 

• Andy001z

Or maybe it's not working as it should? Anyway thanks. When I get some more time I'll play. EOL 

• Andy001z

Tried the dumult trick and worked a treat.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited July 2018

@Triem23 That also highlights something I always thought felt like a bug: Add Demult to a Black Plane and it becomes invisible. OK, now draw on it with a Lightsword and  nothing appears.

Why not? I knocked out the Black, but then I'm drawing something after that on the transparent result, aren't I?  Why isn't it visible? Swap the order of Demult and Lightsword and it appears. Works, but limits usuable colours.

OK, now remove the Demult and change the Lightsword's Blend to None. It's visible against a transparent background, so where did the Black Plane go if it is literally doing a Blend:None?

Now duplicate the line and drag the points about to form a 'X'. All you now get is an area where they overlap visible; again against a transparent background. Play with all the Blend modes of both lines all you like; you will never get both lines visible against a transparent background, but you can get a lot of weird effects at the overlap point; none of them useful.

The only way to almost do it is to duplicate the entire plane with the line attached. But then one line is clearly shown as drawn in front of the other and the glows don't merge.

I wonder if its related to the weirdness you get if you use a high value of Smooth on Matte Cleaner, where it will introduce Black edges around the matte shape in concave sections of the matte. This was confirmed as a bug over a year ago and is present in several other places (Difference Key is one, I think?) because: same mathematical assumptions.