edited July 2018 in General

Sorry, Mistake.

Comments

• paulevs
    paulevs Posts: 3
    edited July 2018

• paulevs

I just installed the new 2018 version from 2017 and all of my purchased add ons say "buy" I've researched this forum and someone said that because they changed some of the packs contents that you don't have everything included anymore so it say's buy. If that's the case why does the Audio Visual Pack still say buy? Everything is the same in that pack, and some packs might have changed by adding one little effect and now you have to pay full price for a pack that you're missing one effect from and re-purchase the pack that you already own 90% of?

This doesn't make any sense.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast
    edited July 2018

Did you use the exact same account (email) to register Express 8 as you used for Express 2017? Only if you use the same account will packs carry forward to the new versions.

Check the "activations" page in the Options dialog. It will show what the app thinks is activated, including old packs and the effects contained in those packs. Those effects will still show up in your effects list.

Even if the current pack has the exact same contents as the old given the huge changes in the whole expansion pack offerings, it still might be thought of as a new pack in the new expansion pack offering universe. The categorization can be slightly different going forward. e.g. The current packs have a "motion" group with "audio visual" and "puppet" subgroups within motion.

• paulevs

It's showing the old packs in my activations tab but my question goes beyond that now. The new, Motion: Audio Visual Pack contains: Atomic Particle, Audio Spectrum and Audio Waveform and it retails for $24.99. Those exact three effects were in the Audio-Visualizer pack I bought for $50.00. I paid double and they can't let me have the new pack?

We still have the other issue of not getting any credit for the packs we previously purchased and have to buy all new packs even if we own a great deal of what's included in the new pack. This is a pure monetary scheme and it's a day long task even if you don't mind paying for things again, you have to go through all this trouble to find out what was included in the old pack, compared to what packs you may want to purchase. The only way to see what you have is to look through your effects in the program, one at a time and compare with the new packs list. The whole process is a nightmare!

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

"The new, Motion: Audio Visual Pack contains: Atomic Particle, Audio Spectrum and Audio Waveform and it retails for $24.99. Those exact three effects were in the Audio-Visualizer pack I bought for $50.00. I paid double and they can't let me have the new pack?"

You *HAVE* the effects, Atomic particles, Audio spectrum, audio waveform, that you purchased with your previous expansion pack.

What is it that you think you are missing or *entitled* to?

That the current expansion pack offerings are different than previous has no effect on your previous purchase(s). FxHome are carrying forward your previous purchases into the current version, even if the old and new pack offerings may, or may not, have a 1:1 relationship. What is carrying forward are the exact effects in included in the pack you purchased at the exact time of your purchase. It seems that this pack has a 1:1 relationship. That probably the exception and not the rule.

That the price has changed is a so what situation. They have a right to raise or lower the price at any point in time.

"We still have the other issue of not getting any credit for the packs we previously purchased "

That is completely untrue.

As stated, your previous purchases exactly carry forward. Unaltered. You never purchased a pack of a certain name. You purchased a group of effects and that group is carried forward to new version of Express. For example, there was a time when FxHome stopped offering some effects as a pack in Express. Users who purchased still got those effects in new versions of Express, even though no pack existed.

Since the expansion offerings have gotten a complete overhaul,  there is a situation where someone who has purchased one or more packs and wants to purchase more might come across a situation where a pack they want to purchase might have an effect or two that they already own. Of course this has no bearing on the AV pack you reference in this thread. In this pack overhaul, everything is now offered in a some expansion pack. This is not a scheme to try and get more money out of you. It is a scheme to offer more capability to the Express community.

They could have maintained legacy pack arrangements and offered the new effects in new separate packs but I'll bet they did not like that arrangement and decided a fundamental change was better in the long run even if not ideal in the transition period. I don't want FxHome to "waste" time on some complicated reconciliation code from old to new pack setups. I want them to  spend time on performance and useful  new features. 

"The only way to see what you have is to look through your effects in the program, one at a time and compare with the new packs list. The whole process is a nightmare!"

If that is a source of serious issue for you then how do you walk through life on planet Earth.  This is not an ideal or perfect place.

Worry more about what you want to accomplish in your edit than maintaining some database of what effects you do and don't have that you may or may not use. If you are trying to do X and Hitfilm Express does not seem able to, then will an effect help you do X. If yes, then does Express offer that X in a pack. If yes, then is the cost something you can handle. If yes, then buy it, do X and go onto the next task.

The thing with effects is that many times there is not something obvious and ready made. Look at the out of the box thinking FilmSensei has done with the Lightsword effect. Absolutely nothing to do with Lightsabers. The point is we are commonly rummaging through our effects list trying things, usually in combination, to get that result X, I previously mentioned. With time, we do become familiar with what is in our available list. We know it like the back of our hand. So when you want something more that is an obvious situation.

• ShaunTait
    ShaunTait Posts: 2

Thanks, @Norman I was facing the same issue. Got rid of it finally after following your instructions.