Using Comp as Environment Map Creates Crash

GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,447 Enthusiast

https://youtu.be/ZJbawPzLoDY

Both media and comp are same size. Don't seem to recall this being a problem???

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,728 Ambassador

Did you proxy the comp? If not, proxy the comp and try again. I'll bet you haven't 

Remember, a Comp is automatically procedural media and Hitfim has to calculate and render nested comps before rendering the main comp/editor timelime. 

A proxied comp is a video clip. Stream it from it's folder and it's done! 

I don't know how complex the scene is (I haven't watched your video), so this is just a general guess. You should be able to use the Comp as Environment Map, so I'm guessing the additional resources of calcluating nested/embedded comps is overflowing your GPU resources.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,447 Enthusiast
    edited July 2018

Proxy makes no difference. I was experimenting with reflections on the buildings when I noticed that the environment map was aligning itself  along surface of the model and not the direction the models was facing. 

I was trying to get the buildings as well as the environment map to reflect on the same surface. At first I had all models embedded in a single model layer and the environment map lite the models properly but there was no model to model reflections being cast. I moved each model to it's own layer and that fixed the model to model reflection...somewhat.

The gist of this is the environment map is a time-lapse of clouds and I was trying to reverse the direction of the clouds reflecting across the model(s) but when I flipped the "media" layer 180 it made no difference. I figured I'd try a comp.......... and that's the reason for the post. Comp causes a crash when used as an environment map for an unrolled model...proxied or not.

** Video posted is just a 20sec capture of the procedure and crash

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,728 Ambassador
    edited July 2018

Stand by - quick test time

My test animated Environment Map Comp Shot is proxying..

30 Minutes Later....

Dunno what to tell you. I don't have your project file, but I've tried creating a small project with some models and a 4K animated Environment Map involving a video and some Effects. Using the embedded composite shot as an Environment Map doesn't crash my system in any way, whether proxied or not.

I can try with your project if you upload it, but I'm also PC, you're MAC. Don't know how that effects thing. I just can't recreate the issue.

On the other hand I cannot currently post screen recordings of my Hitfilm Pro.

edited July 2018

Thanks for the look see.

For the record I was using the PC for this project BUT since you mentioned Mac I moved the project over to it and gave it a whirl. Same results....using the comp as an environment map produces a crash.

Time sensitive Project file: (removed)

Pay no mind to the missing textures...they are rooftop objects

I can see I'm wanting the environment map to do something it's not capable of doing without some kinda math node. Notice how the clouds are moving across the face of the buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeMoEPPPaRI

• CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,192 Staff

@GrayMotion I've logged the crash internally for someone to have a look. Having the project is really helpful, thanks for providing it. Sorry about the inconvenience, I hope you can finish your project in time.

Sounds good @CedricBonnier. There is no inconvenience or project deadline...just experimenting with HF reflections. I'll do a bit more experimenting with different media files and comps sizes and report back if anything of interest arises.

This discussion has been closed.