Close up

HitFilmer128619HitFilmer128619 Website User Posts: 322

any way to pull it off in Hitfilm? 

Not that corny “zoom” effect, but just a close up of a face or something. 

Ive got a shot that’s a close-up but I want to try a smash cut to an extreme close-up.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

If you have only one camera shot then your only option is to keyframe animate  Scale and Position properties to blow the imagr up and reframe. You'd use "Constant" keys so the position "jumps" between values.

If you have two shots, sounds like a straight cut on the timeline. 

Assuming I'm correctly understanding what you're trying to do... 

This is the type of thing that will work, or not, depending on the footage resolution and project resolution... If 4k footage in a 1080 project you have a lot of room to fake the ECU (Extreme Close Up) without pixelating or blur. 1080 footage in a 1080 project or 4k footage in a 4k project, not so much. 

• HitFilmer128619HitFilmer128619 Website User Posts: 322

I only got one shot and while editing, after the fact, I wanted to try and get a little closer...maybe not an extreme close up, per se. But maybe have the face fill the frame a little more. 

Which kind of ties into my next question. So I’ll ask it here. 

Is there a way to do a blood spatter effect? Not the spray effect. I just want blood in the scene, not spraying. 

It doesn’t have to be a smash cut. Even if I could just copy the clip, blow it up some how, and use that instead of the origina, I’d be happy. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

Ok, smash cut or zoom it's still keyframes of the Scale and Position properties. You got that. 

For blood spatter, are you trying to spatter a wall or the camera lens? Either way you should be able to quickly find free stock elements which would be comped into the frame. 

Check out the Hitfilm YouTube channel and their "Westworld to Yuma" playlist (and the same playlist on Film Riot). At least one of the tutorials covers laying in blood spatter on a wall. I think there's also a project file which gives you a blood element to start with! 

I’m going for spatter on the inside of a vehicle (behind) the dead guy’s head. Just the spatter. No impact. 

I looked over some of those West world videos and I only found the blood spray. 

I’ll try to find spatter stock...and maybe mess with masks or whatever in comp shot

This discussion has been closed.