Problem with importing mp4 files and conserving framerate

ChiefZamoraChiefZamora Website User Posts: 2

I am new to hit film and have been using it for creating gaming compilations, however I ran into an issue concerning the frame rate of imported mp4 files. When I import a mp4 file I lose frames.  This does not happen with MOV imports. I tested with two identical clips at 29.97 fps one mp4 and one MOV , the MOV preserves all the frames while the mp4 becomes choppy/lost frames

It feels like this is a codec problem could it be possible that there is something wrong with the H.264 codec? Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a  way to force the codec to update? Are there other import settings that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador

Re: this choppy feeling, are you talking about real time playback, or are you actually finding missing frames when stepping through one frame at a time?  And regarding the two identical clips you tested, I'm guessing you used a tool to convert from mp4 to mov. Is that correct?

Here my hunch: converting to MOV is actually solving the problem, and the problem (I think) is that the MP4 version is likely encoded with a variable frame rate (VFR).  While HitFilm tries its best to play all frames of all media, VFR-encoded media can sometimes lead to frames being dropped during real-time playback.  My hunch is that the tool you used to convert the MP4 file to MOV also encoded that MOV with a constant frame rate, hence the lack of dropped frames.  So it's not really the file format or codec. It's the frame rate encoding that's (at least part of) the problem.

Here's a very useful video that I highly recommend watching. Among other things, it lays out the benefits of transcoding/converting media into an editing-friendly format/codec combo, which is pretty much what you did by converting that MP4 to MOV, though you didn't realize it.  Still, watch this anyway, as it's got lots of useful info that will inform how you use HitFilm going forward.

• ChiefZamoraChiefZamora Website User Posts: 2

Thanks for your help jsbarrett, to answer your question I see the missing frames when stepping through each frame, I did figure out the problem thanks to this handy video you sourced me, the problem is that I was importing video files that used a variable bit rate, I fixed this by converting it to constant bitrate using TmpEngc, but it looks like handbrake will work as well.

Btw can handbrake make an MOV? 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador

@ChiefZamora Not sure. I don't use Handbrake. I use MPEG Streamclip for transcoding. No matter which tool you use, though, its export options will at least partly (if not completely) depend on what's installed on your machine.  If you have QuickTime installed (guaranteed for Mac, optional for Windows), I'd like to think that Handbrake would give you an option to export MOV, but I'm not sure.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,950 Enthusiast

Nothing special about MOV vs MP4 for the typical case. AVC/H.264 video.

In the current Hitfilm, V6+, MOV files containing AVC video bypass Quicktime on Windows. So no difference between MOV+AVC and MP4+AVC. MOV and MP4 are virtually identical containers. The main difference is that MOV is allowed to contain many more video codecs than MP4. But as I said AVC is by far the most common.

If you are talking about Handbrake then you are talking about AVC output.

Also, be careful about the difference between "variable bit rate" and variable frame rate. Variable bitrate is never a problem. It is normal bitrate mode.

• skuddleskuddle Website User Posts: 45

@jsbarrett

>>Here's a very useful video that I highly recommend watching. Among other things, it lays out the benefits of transcoding/converting media into an editing-friendly format/codec combo, which is pretty much what you did by converting that MP4 to MOV, though you didn't realize it.  Still, watch this anyway, as it's got lots of useful info that will inform how you use HitFilm going forward.<<

Could you please repost your link? I can't see it in your original post.

@skuddle Strange. It shows up just fine on this end. It's a YouTube video, and therefore it gets embedded in the forum upon display. I'll add the link again below, but it's just going to embed it again. If you can't see embedded videos for some reason, try the link on this text.

This discussion has been closed.