Exporting igtv video?

Reilly_Reilly_ Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Hi all. I have literally tried exporting a 9:16 ratio for an instagram video I'm working on like ten times. It seems to be not 9:16 but I set the video resolution at 1080 x 1920. Can anyone help on how to export an instagram video. Thanks

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

I just tried a 1080x1920 setup and it exported fine. The timeline (composite) was 1080x1920 and I created a export preset/template that would output 1080x1920 (I actually just checked use source for this quick test).

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,250 Ambassador

For the record, IGTV resolution is 900x1600, not 1080x1920.

Or, 854x1080 if you're working in 4:5.

So, tips? For one thing the project should be edited at either 854x1080 or 900x1600. 

After that any export template should work if it's taking resolution from the timeline, which most templates do. 

"After that any export template should work if it's taking resolution from the timeline, which most templates do. "

Except the MP4 export templates. They are all tied to a specific output resolution.

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast

Cookie Motion Graphics just posted a video tutorial on this. If I understand what the subject is. I don't use IGTV, but I do like his tutorials. Hope this helps. See link below

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,034 Ambassador

The only problem with that tutorial is the export part. He still exported a 1920x1080 video, but with his video content in the middle of an otherwise black frame.  To keep the actual project dimensions requires either using or creating an export preset that is set to export based on the project dimensions, not a predefined resolution.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,250 Ambassador

@NormanPCN So... Basically IGTV decided to be annoying and demand non-standard dimensions? I'd crack an Apple joke, but it's Facebook's fault....

edited June 2018

I can see someone like Instagram using slightly smaller dimensions. It reduces bandwidth. If one were to impose anything on users, how can you get people to stop holding their phone vertical. aka vertical video. 

Since the beginning of time, video (movies, tv) has used an aspect ratio wider than tall. So one would think that a wide aspect should seem normal/desired when doing your own video. But people don't. Things that make you go hmm.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,175 Moderator

@NormanPCN Preach!  My absolute worst pet peeve.  My girls are the worst about it and then send me videos of the grandkids that are impossible to edit into a sensible comp.

• singingdrumsingingdrum Website User Posts: 2

I've been playing around in Hitfilm Express on how to export in the format for IGTV  which is portrait, but haven't been successful in getting it to work properly. Every time I create a video the IGTV uploader tells me I have the wrong aspect ratio. Any ideas on to do this properly???

@singingdrum I've merged your thread with this one. The other posts here should help

• singingdrumsingingdrum Website User Posts: 2

I'm having trouble exporting video in the portrait position so it can be uploaded to igtv (Instagram tv). The uploader at Instagram gives me a message:

• Video must have an aspect ratio of 9:16

I've reversed the position in hitfilm  from  1920: 1080 to 1080: 1920 but that doesn't seem to be creating the video in the right propportions for igtv. Can anyone help?

@singingdrum please stop creating duplicate threads for the same question. Again, I have merged your thread with another which already has answers. 

For the record, IGTV resolution is 900x1600, not 1080x1920.

Or, 854x1080 if you're working in 4:5.

So, tips? For one thing the project should be edited at either 854x1080 or 900x1600. 

After that any export template should work if it's taking resolution from the timeline, which most templates do.

You'll probably need to create a custom export template, since IGTV decided to use a non-standard size.

• Danielo49Danielo49 Website User Posts: 1

Hey there. I just created video in hitfilm in 'normal', ill say, aspect ratio and resolution (1920x1080). Problem is, that i want to upload my magnum opus to Instagram TV (IGTV) where 9:16-1080x1920 (no 19:6) AR is needed. Is there easy way to EXPORT my edited in 1920x1080 film to 1080x1920? 

• Danielo49Danielo49 Website User Posts: 1

I'll say this more easy - how to change angle of my video to vertical ^^ in last, export, step.

@Danielo49 I've merged your thread with several others with the same question. Please read it, since (twice) it is discussed how IGTV has non-standard pixel dimensions.

And, I suppose I should link a tutorial on export settings. 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,034 Ambassador

@DataDesign That video you're posting shares incorrect information. The end product is NOT at the correct resolution for IGTV.  The user in that video is still exporting at 1920x1080.  He's pillarboxed a vertical project by selecting a horizontal export format.  To export at the proper resolution and aspect ratio for IGTV will require creating a custom export preset, which can be done by reviewing the video that @Triem23 posted above.

@jsbarrett Noted: The information and result looked ok to me. (I did say I did not know about IGTV) Just trying to help out when I saw the video and the request for help within the same few hours. No good deed.......

@DataDesign Sorry, I didn't mean to stomp on your desire to help. It's definitely appreciated. However, I've done the same thing on more than one occasion (and still do it sometimes), sharing what I feel is a viable solution when it actually goes down the wrong path.  Because of that, I've gotten into the habit of hyper-reviewing stuff before posting. It's not a perfect solution, but does help to minimize misleading posts.

I think the merging of threads just compounded the problem, and is likely what led to my frustration above. I'd already commented earlier that this guy's tutorial was off the mark, so I was confused when the video got shared again. My guess is that you shared it on separate threads, which then got merged here.

Anyway, I hope there are no hard feelings. :)

@jsbarrett thread merges can confuse, but, we had three threads created on this topic within 24 hours. I hate retyping. ;-)

This discussion has been closed.