export/save Media to separate folder

e1m1e1m1 Website User Posts: 1

Hey do i alway have to create an project folder in which i copy all my needed pics and clips before creating a movie-file or is there an option that let me export all my used clips and pics for a project to a separate folder so that i can use files from different loactions and save all the used ones later in a single folder?

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador

Part of me wishes that there was a way to auto-collect assets from multiple locations into a single folder, but that's not currently possible.  My personal workflow is to do what you first mentioned: build a project folder, then move/copy assets to that folder before importing them into HitFilm.  I actually have a whole folder structure that I set up as a sort of template, and duplicate that for all new projects to make the setup easier.  I also have HitFilm set to use relative paths so that I can move that whole project structure somewhere else and know that it will still work.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

As @jsbarrett says, I also wish Hitfilm had a "save archive" function (copying media to a single folder), but, since it doesn't, I also keep a "template" file structure I copy/paste to each new project folder and add media there as I load into Hitfilm. 

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast

I'm curious. What do you all think it would take to incorporate something like FCPX Library function into Hitfilm? 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

@GrayMotion it's probably pretty easy. Hitfilm doesn't load all media in, and the media bin is largely just a pointer file to  media names/location, so it's very technically possible to use that extant database and code a "create new folder, copy and relink all project media to this folder." Vegas also does this with a further option to trim the media during the copy to throw away unused video. Dunno if FCPX's archive does this. 

The stumbling block is merely how far down the huge list of stuff this might be and when a member of the tiny dev team gets assigned the task. 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador

@Triem23

"The stumbling block is merely how far down the huge list of stuff this might be and when a member of the tiny dev team gets assigned the task."

...or when an enterprising user decides to write their own.  :) This actually sounds easier than the EDL script I started a while back (and which I completely forgot about). Added to the list!

This discussion has been closed.