Hitfilm Express 8.1.7729 no longer starting, but launching the YouTube Light Saber tutorial instead?

rkulagowrkulagow Website User Posts: 3

HFE was working earlier today. I successfully performed an export, and then exited the application. A few hours later I needed to get back to editing, and boom! No HFE.

If I click on the Hitfilm Express icon, I get the Windows spinner for a while, and then it seems to be auto-launching the Youtube video on how to create Lightsaber effects. If I leave the video running, a few seconds later I get another copy of the video, and a few seconds after that, still yet more copies of the YouTube lightsaber video. I eventually kill the HitFilm Express task in Task Manager.

If I try to open an existing .hfp file, I get the spinner for a few seconds, and then nothing seems to happen. HitFilm doesn't launch into the edit console.

When I look at the Windows Event Viewer, I can see that Windows is catching an error from HFE:

Faulting application name: HitFilmExpress.exe, version: 8.1.7729.45222, time stamp: 0x5b0d41fb
Faulting module name: nvoglv64.dll, version: 24.21.13.9811, time stamp: 0x5b11038d
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000db89c9
Faulting process id: 0x1d60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d40c43b16f4610
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FXHOME\HitFilm Express\HitFilmExpress.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_040c7acb04cee565\nvoglv64.dll
Report Id: 9f9a4476-68cb-4232-9699-b78fa5733de8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

And I'm also seeing this error:

An application has requested more GPU memory than is
available in the system.
The application will now be closed.

Error code: 6
(pid=7520 tid=9072 hitfilmexpress.exe 64bit)

Visit http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3553 for more information.

The graphics card is an NVidia 1060 GTX with 6GB of memory, with the latest drivers from NVidia.

Comments

• rkulagowrkulagow Website User Posts: 3

Somehow, the registry had bogus values. In HKCU, the Normal Geometry value was something like 8K (I only have a 4K screen), and the WindowState was 0; I set it to 2, and HFE then started to work.

FXHome: I have no idea what those values mean, or how they got that way, but I was >this< close to just switching to DaVinci Resolve. Please have your code check for sane values, or offer a mechanism to reset to defaults, or something. Because performing an uninstall wasn't removing the registry keys, and performing an install wasn't setting them to default values.

• CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,189 Staff

@rkulagow I'm sorry you are having trouble with the software. This should not happen and hopefully everything is back to normal for you. I will have a look at if we can improve things in the software, thanks for reporting it.

• ArnaudMezArnaudMez Website User Posts: 16

Hello, i'm new in here and really want to use HitFilm for my video projects but after it never start bu keep crashing since I've installed the software (latest Express version). any fix for this ?

i'm short on time and really want to start learning and go productive with it.

Thanks for your support.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

@ArnaudMez What are your system specs?  CPU, GPU, RAM, hard drive, and OS

Hello @jsbarrett, well i'm sorry for taking so long to reply ... i almost ditched my HitFilm to a dust bin because of this and that.

You will find my specs below.
    i've simply noticed HitFilm is working smoothly since i did the software update two days ago, so version 9 is taking/using less CPU and RAM resources and i really like it and may now start to learn.

macOS High Sierra - v10.13.6
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
    CPU: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    RAM: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

@ArnaudMez Hitfilm's minimum system specs include i3, i5 or i7 CPUs. Your Core 2 Duo is under minimum spec. You're getting lucky that it's running, but you'll end up limited in how far you can push VFX. 

@Triem thank you so much for making this clear for me.
    Well i'm running on very low budget and can't afford a new MacBook so i will consider not pushing too far and ... on the other hand i use HitFilm for :

* Editing video tuto
    * Encoding already created autos to other format with a bit of tuning (color correction, sharpness, etc...)
    * thiking about using it as my audio recording or correcting software (if possible)

Look i don't want to load 10000 softwares on my very limited box, the minimum that works is welcome for me.
    Even trying to learn composition but only my personal Loge and text animation to be used on my Tuto and courses but nothing Hollywood, nothing Avengers 4 at all.

i was happy v9 of HitFilm worked like a charm with short delay and load even faster since i applied the proxy config tips so it's good to me ... just hope next version will make it even better.

Blessings !

Also ... please consider those using old machine like mine who want to run HitFilm Express too ... make it possible for users to setup a scratch/Swap/cache space on their physical disk with user defined size (i would make it 30GB or more on my HDD) that will help them not quickly run out of resources and not feel excluded from what happening.

i see you made it possible to clear certain things so clearing the cache/scratch/swap will be good too.

Blessing !

This discussion has been closed.