One effect on multiple clips

7Heroica77Heroica7 Website User Posts: 4

Alright, I'll try to be as clear as possible. Please bear with me!

I want to do an effect which will decrease the level of lighting on many clips but the effect will appear slowly over time. I thought I could simply export my video, put it back on hitfilm and create this effect, but I worry the video quality of the movie will be cropped and the process will take too long.

Is there another way to do this? Perhaps without having to export my movie two times?

By the way, I'm using Hitfilm Pro 2017 (my wallet is too thin for me to afford the latest version ;) )

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,176 Moderator
    edited June 2018

@7Heroica7 I can't be sure, but if follow what you want to do;  you could put all the clips as different layers in a composite shot and move them to the right so they start at the end of the one above it.  Then create a grade layer that spans all the clips and key frame the value that you are using you adjust the lightness.  I'm away from my computer today on my phone, so I have not tested this, but I think it'll work.   And there are probably better ways as well that someone else may have.

• JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@7Heroica7 if you do choose to export your video and then re-import, then I would recommend exporting as Cineform with quality set to "High". The exported file will be large but the quality will be maintained.

Quality set to "High" will probably be good enough, and if it is not then you can set the quality even higher to "Filmscan1" or "Filmscan2", although those settings will make even bigger files.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,250 Ambassador

@JMcAllister High is more than enough. Medium should do it. Filmscan is overkill. 

• JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@Triem23 Yeah, but I'm picky and paranoid. So I use "High".

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,250 Ambassador

@JMcAllister fair enough. If one has the storage space, go for it. File comparisons, I find Cineform Medium about equal in bitrate to ProRes 180 or DNX 175. Cineform High is closer to 400 Mb/s. 

Also depends on the source footage. If the source footage is some 28-35mbps  AVCHD clip then the HIGH is total overkill.

If dumping out pure animation there might be advantages to HIGH. It also depends on final output. If it's going to YouTube it's gonna get mangled anyway so I don't worry too much about "pristine" intermediates. Whether Blu-Ray or web final version is going to end up at 20mbps or lower. 10 for YouTube.

All figures given for 1080p.

But, yeah, if you have storage, higher Cineform profiles won't hurt. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@Triem23 "File comparisons, I find Cineform Medium about equal in bitrate to ProRes 180 or DNX 175. Cineform High is closer to 400 Mb/s. "

Really? That sounds like UHD bitrates. Prores 180 is not "180" in UHD resolution. For 1080p30 material I see about 115Mbps for Cineform Medium and 140Mbps for High. This makes High similar to normal Prores and DNxHD. In UHD I do see close to 400Mbps in Cineform High UHDp30 but Prores  is again similar to Cineform in Bitrate.

• 7Heroica77Heroica7 Website User Posts: 4

@tddavis Alright I will try this! Thank you guys for your help!

This discussion has been closed.