Blend mode

PROFMAXIMVSPROFMAXIMVS Website User Posts: 12

Hi, friends!

Until version 7.x, all lower thirds were well blended.

Now, in 8.x, they're washed out, even I setting them as "Screen". (as the picture shows) The "Overlay" option darkens the background.

aulasnaweb.com/washedout.png

Any hint?

Tia,

prof Paulo Maximo

Comments

• PROFMAXIMVSPROFMAXIMVS Website User Posts: 12

Hi, friends!

Until version 7.x, all lower thirds were well blended.

Now, in 8.x, they're washed out, even I setting them as "Screen". (as the picture shows) The "Overlay" option darkens the background.

http://aulasnaweb.com/washedout.png

Any hint?

Tia,

prof Paulo Maximo

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,034 Ambassador

Side note: you can edit your posts so you don't have to re-post the same thing multiple times (guessing you did that to figure out how to get the image to show up).  To edit the first post in a thread, you have to go back to the thread list for a given category (i.e. Express Support), then click the gear next to the title of your thread.

To your question, I have some questions of my own: how are you creating your lower third elements?  Are you making them in HitFilm, or in some other program?  In either case, are you making them over a solid black background instead of leaving the background transparent? That's the only reason I can think of that you would even need to use a different blending mode to get the graphic overlaid on top of your content. If (for some reason I can't think of) you need to leave the background black, try using the Demult effect on your lower third layer.  That will make all solid black areas completely transparent, and other areas semi-transparent depending on their lightness.  That said, I strongly recommend adjusting your lower thirds so that the background is transparent. 

As far as why things look different starting with v8, I'm not sure.  Have you always used the Screen blending mode prior to v8, or was it something else?

• PROFMAXIMVSPROFMAXIMVS Website User Posts: 12

Hi, @jsbarrett!
    First of all, sorry about my multiple messages. I REALLY was trying to attach the image to the post.

About the topic, I'll try the "Demult" effect (I forgot it... wadda shame). But the "screen" layer blend mode worked until version 7.x. After it, the lower thirds became washed out as in the image.
    Thanks for your help.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,034 Ambassador

@PROFMAXIMVS My pleasure! While Demult may work for what you're doing now, I still strongly recommend changing your workflow to use lower third images/comps with transparent backgrounds.  That way you won't have to change the blending mode for your lower third layer at all.

This discussion has been closed.