Amazing compositing thread

Davlon
Davlon Website User Posts: 283 Just Starting Out
edited June 2018 in Practical Filmmaking

Let's open a thread on amazing compositing.

Here is the clip (begins at 1:45)

and here is how they did it:

And it's the same actor doing all the parts, shot on a motion controlled camera, and carefully blended together.  In the how-to video, you can see the edges of the mattes, between 5:06 and 5:10 -- Look at the top row, around the middle of the screen.

Comments

• Davlon

Nice work -- a pyramid of plastic cups vs. a  Nerf gun.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,197 Ambassador

Haha! Very fun, and a great job with the comp.

• Davlon

@jsbarrett

Okay -- so how do we do it?  They built a pyramid out of of 2x4's and track it.   And they do the sand effect and replace the particles with cups? 

At 1:22 look at the left side of the pyramid against the trees -- fringing.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,197 Ambassador

@Davlon Re: technique, I'm not sure they built anything special for tracking. Even though the camera does a couple slight lateral shifts, we really don't see the perspective change on that stack. My guess is they tracked the trees using basic 2D tracking for position and scale, and then applied that to a static image of the stack. It's also not the same stack that they shoot down. If you jump between the static stack and the version right before it's shot, there's a slight difference.  For the collapse, it was definitely a particle sim of some kind.

Re: what you point out at 1:22, I'm not sure I'd call it fringing. It almost looks like they added a rim light to separate the tower from the trees, but I'm not 100% certain.

• Davlon

@jsbarrett

Okay -- is this real?

• CleverTagline

Yeah, that's all real. They just shoot a truckload of takes until they get it perfect. Watch the end where they show a few outtakes when things didn't go so perfectly.