Keyframe issues in Resolve 14/15?

MarachMarach Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out
edited June 2018 in Ignite

Hello,

I installed Ignite Express to see how it would work in Resolve and it seems I'm unable to animate effect parameters.

For example, I wanted to keyframe the 'Position' parameter of the Spherical Warp effect. While it works normally in Hitfilm, I cannot do it in Resolve - there are no set/delete keyframe 'buttons' in the OpenFX panel where the Ignite effect UI resides.

Is this so by design or is my installation perhaps misbehaving? I find it quite odd that Ignite effects would not offer any means of animation in Resolve, but only serve as 'static' effects that can be added.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,953 Enthusiast

Resolve is a little funny with were it allows keyframing of external OpenFX effects. I have not looked at the Resolve 15 beta, but in Resolve 14 you had to be in the Color page to do keyframing. The edit page did not allow keyframing of OpenFX effects.

• MarachMarach Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out

Thank you for the answer.

I'm using Resolve 14 and I just tried the Color page, but it did not have the keyframing either.

I guess the only option I currently have is to export stuff from Resolve into HitFilm, animate the effects there and then export it from HitFilm back to Resolve.

I hope this gets resolved (the pun is real), but I'm not sure on which end the problem lies.

I just checked and I can keyframe in Resolve 15. In both the Edit page and the Color page. However, after setting the effect, actually seeing the keyframe in the keyframe timeline is another matter. But Resolve 15 is different than Resolve 14 and I have not look too far into Resolve 15.

I do remember being able to keyframe in Resolve 14 but only in the color page. Keyframing the internal options is trivial and convenient. As for external OpenFX then things get a little dicey. I'm no Resolve expert.

Another thing. Don't expect reasonable/good performance with external OpenFX plug-ins in Resolve. The internal effects are lightspeed and external plug-ins are snail speed by comparison. Contrast this with Vegas where the external Ignite effects can perform very well indeed.

• MarachMarach Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out

Good info.

I find editing the interpolation of internal effects' keyframes in Resolve pretty subpar so even if Resolve 15 supports keyframing of Ignite OpenFX plugins, I guess editing the interpolation of those keyframes is not done well or at all so that still leaves exporting to HitFilm the best solution for me...

"I find editing the interpolation of internal effects' keyframes in Resolve pretty subpar..."

...yep, and then there is that. I don't know if the ResolveFX/OpenFX have adjustable interpolation. You can't even move an OpenFX keyframe AFAIK. The transform group allows a spline graph for interpolation.

A strange mix of restrictions and function. Certainly not orthogonal.

Then the color page is completely different with a restricted curve editor. A weird mix. The color page is probably legacy. The editor page being new and not tied to legacy.

This discussion has been closed.