DELETE

404NotFound
404NotFound Website User Posts: 7
edited May 2014 in General

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador
    I won't insult you. I won't give you one of my installs, mind you, as I am a single-person company, and actually have Hitfilm installed on three machines already!
    But I'll give you respect points for being open and honest enough to ask and go for it. ;-)
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    Im not going to attack you, but I will talk business with you.  I realized this about myself and my business and few people get it.
    If you have a business idea and you want to succeed, you have to be willing to invest in yourself.  Go to the limit to get the training, get the software and put in the time/work/money.  As an actor I learned no one is just going to discover me... I need to stand out.  As a filmmaker I know no one is just going to see what I want them to see in a story.  If you aren't willing to invest in yourself then why should anyone else?  So for me that meant taking a wide variety of classes outside of just acting.  They will pay to whip a celebrity in shape but not some random actor.  It meant learn many aspects of filmmaking so that I was not at the mercy of waiting on others or not being able to carry out my vision.  Heck even invested in a camera I didn't have money for.
    Sharing a serial number is problematic for some because you may just run off and abuse it. Hitfilm 2 express is free, download it and make due.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador
    edited January 2014
    Well, one could argue that asking for a serial number is a form of "investing in himself." In principle, I can see where it's viewed as a Kickstarter. He's effectively asking for a donation of software to use to build skill.
    So now we come down to a question of integrity and honesty. Lizard says above "I'm saving up for one." which I choose to interpret as saving up for a Hitfilm license.
    Now I'm PM'd Lizard 1217 a couple of times and I know he's a 15 year old student. Lizard, I might suggest you tell the forum a bit more about yourself. If we know some of your background, your circumstances. In your PM to me you talked about having a job, but being concerned with saving money for college, so you abviously have goals and plans. Now, if you're also intending to be a FILM STUDENT in college, that might make someone more likely to give you a serial number, since it's something you intend to do for a living. Again, if you're saving up for your own Hitfilm license, someone might help you out on the ground of "he's borrowing, and intends to buy."  If we knew where you were, you might actually encounter someone local to you who can become a film-making buddy as well! And a local makes it less likely that you'll "Run off and abuse it." as MichaelJames correctly points out. If you're in the same town as me I can always complain at your parents. ;-)
    I don't think you'll get any bites, and I don't know if the moderators are going to go for this. (As you seem to be aware, you're basically asking someone to help you NOT pay FXHome for their work---hopefully "yet."), but we'll see.
  • 404NotFound
    edited January 2014
    Well, one could argue that asking for a serial number is a form of "investing in himself." In principle, I can see where it's viewed as a Kickstarter. He's effectively asking for a donation of software to use to build skill.
    So now we come down to a question of integrity and honesty. Lizard says above "I'm saving up for one." which I choose to interpret as saving up for a Hitfilm license.
    Now I'm PM'd Lizard 1217 a couple of times and I know he's a 15 year old student. Lizard, I might suggest you tell the forum a bit more about yourself. If we know some of your background, your circumstances. In your PM to me you talked about having a job, but being concerned with saving money for college, so you abviously have goals and plans. Now, if you're also intending to be a FILM STUDENT in college, that might make someone more likely to give you a serial number, since it's something you intend to do for a living. Again, if you're saving up for your own Hitfilm license, someone might help you out on the ground of "he's borrowing, and intends to buy."  If we knew where you were, you might actually encounter someone local to you who can become a film-making buddy as well! And a local makes it less likely that you'll "Run off and abuse it." as MichaelJames correctly points out. If you're in the same town as me I can always complain at your parents. ;-)
    I don't think you'll get any bites, and I don't know if the moderators are going to go for this. (As you seem to be aware, you're basically asking someone to help you NOT pay FXHome for their work---hopefully "yet."), but we'll see.

-

• StephenHorn
    StephenHorn Website User Posts: 6
    edited January 2014
    Why hello, I must say, I almost felt compelled to give you my serial number for my Adobe cc, but it actually belongs to a company who sponsors me, so that might not be the best idea.  I love that you are a young kid who enjoys film making and isn't afraid to go for what he wants.  There is something admirable about your "never know unless you ask" attitude.  While I can't give you a serial number, I will give you a tip! (I know, it's not quite what you wanted, but hey, take what you can get right?) When I first started filming, I was looking to get the best equipment, software, computers, the best of anything I could get my hands on in hopes that all I needed to be good was to have the best money could buy.  Boy was I wrong.  After about 2 years and thousands of dollars spent on "the best" I realized, it's not about having the best stuff, it's about learning how to use what you have.  If you have hitfilm ultimate 2 (that they are giving for free right now) use that, master it, do what you can with what you have.  
  • Triem23
    @ StephenHorn: It's express they're giving away, not Ultimate. Lizard's hoping to score the big one. ;-)
    BTW Lizard, Stephen does raise good points. You do need to learn to maximize your available resources, and you can still do good work with no money and without VFX. (I would have KILLED for a Hitfilm Express to exist when I was 15--we shot on VHS and edited by playing from one VCR to another and hitting the pause buttons on both machines, then bounced back to another tape using a radio shack mixer and a boom box to drop in music and sound effects...)
    Also remember that there are free tools like Blender that you can animate 3D models in, and bring those into Hitfilm for other elements and compositing.  Hitfilm user "WedgeOz" posted this link yesterday to free morph software (And you can't morph in any version of Hitfim.)
    http://www.xiberpix.net/index.html
    And, of course, there's a LOT you can do in Express.
    As you've noticed, we're pretty mellow around here. The jerks are few and far between and don't last long.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I have a thought/belief that I have held to for a long time. Really the only thing that stops me from torrenting all this amazing software out there (and music). At the end of the day, FXhome (the maker's of hitfilm) can't make Hitfilm or make it better if no one pays for it. If everyone dowloaded it illegally, or just gave it away for free, they would not make a profit, and would cease to exist. If I want something I pay for it, because at the end of the day, if I don't, how can the company be expected to keep making amazing software. My point is, I don't have Hitfilm Ultimate, but out of principal, I would never give out a free product key, even if it was going unused.
  • StephenHorn
    StephenHorn Website User Posts: 6
    I have a thought/belief that I have held to for a long time. Really the only thing that stops me from torrenting all this amazing software out there (and music). At the end of the day, FXhome (the maker's of hitfilm) can't make Hitfilm or make it better if no one pays for it. If everyone dowloaded it illegally, or just gave it away for free, they would not make a profit, and would cease to exist. If I want something I pay for it, because at the end of the day, if I don't, how can the company be expected to keep making amazing software. My point is, I don't have Hitfilm Ultimate, but out of principal, I would never give out a free product key, even if it was going unused.

well said, if you like a product, and believe in it, help the people who made it keep making it better for you.

• 404NotFound
    edited January 2014
    Why hello, I must say, I almost felt compelled to give you my serial number for my Adobe cc, but it actually belongs to a company who sponsors me, so that might not be the best idea.  I love that you are a young kid who enjoys film making and isn't afraid to go for what he wants.  There is something admirable about your "never know unless you ask" attitude.  While I can't give you a serial number, I will give you a tip! (I know, it's not quite what you wanted, but hey, take what you can get right?) When I first started filming, I was looking to get the best equipment, software, computers, the best of anything I could get my hands on in hopes that all I needed to be good was to have the best money could buy.  Boy was I wrong.  After about 2 years and thousands of dollars spent on "the best" I realized, it's not about having the best stuff, it's about learning how to use what you have.  If you have hitfilm ultimate 2 (that they are giving for free right now) use that, master it, do what you can with what you have.  

Thank you very much for the tip! And thank you everyone for generally putting up with me and for your advice. I'll just sit tight and learn what I can with the awesome deal I already have. Namely, HitFilm Express. :)

• Triem23
    Good man, Lizard. :-)
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Huh. The replies here are testament to how awesome this community is.
    It's also worth noting that sharing your serial code with anybody would be a breach of the license agreement, thus risking losing access to your own software. Not that I'd expect anybody to actually do that anyway, for the reasons you guys have all given above.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast

There is a free version of the software and that's more then most people had.  Every filmmaker first imagines getting the latest and the greatest tools to do the job. Learning how to operate in your means allows you to grow as a filmmaker.  Sure I'd love a red camera and a drone and other cool toys  but since I don't have that I need to restructure how I think about creating my content.  The old fashion method of saving while using the free version is never something to ignore even if its not the quickest or the most fun.  I realized now that if I would saved my lunch money, my Christmas and birthday money I would of had a good deal of money when I wasn't working.  There is also working as an option.  Summer and after school jobs.
    Where there is a will there is a way...  There are even fundraiser websites you can post that give people a chance to donate to your goal.