weird export issue

zobo1942
zobo1942 Posts: 46 Just Starting Out*

Hello,

Strange question: When trying to export a clip, I get  a 'process finished unexpectedly' message. However, if I proxy the clip in the timeline, then export, it works fine.

Here is a link to a video showing what is happening (sorry about the wait while the proxy is made):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdlWZy_LrJ4&feature=youtu.be

Any idea why this would be happening?

zobo1942

Comments

• zobo1942

And, upon exiting, this message appears:
    "Could not remove the proxy media directory"

Here is a screenshot of the message:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/gjx2a9obz9j1f9k/hitfilm_message.png/file

• zobo1942

Radeon Software Version - 18.4.1
    Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
    Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) RX 580
    Memory Size - 8192 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Core Clock - 1266 MHz
    Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Model Inspiron 5675 
    System Type x64-based PC  
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,197 Staff

@zobo1942 when you click on the HitFilm logo at the top left of the software, what is the version number you are using? Is this 8.0?

Your YouTube video isn't working, what are you proxying exactly?

If we could have the project and media as well, that would help us diagnose the issue.

• DannyDev
    DannyDev Staff Posts: 337 Staff

This is going to be a media file issue.

If export works after proxying, it's because it's using the pre-rendered comp as opposed to having to load the media again.

The 'Could not remove the proxy media directory' message means that a file in the proxy scratch directory could not be deleted, most likely because it's being held open by something else.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador

@zono1942 So, DannyDev and CedricBonnier are FXHOME staff and developers of Hitfilm. Moderators are volunteer staff. if a future post from them contradicts anything I say here, I got it wrong.

Without seeing your project, I can speak in generalities, but, as DannyDev notes, once a composite shot is proxied, it's been collapsed into a single video file. A non-proxied composite is procedural media that must be computed for each frame. This means any media files must be opened and decompressed, any procedural layers (planes/text) have to be drawn and all effects must be recalculated for each frame. Additionally if any embedded composite shots exist, those have to be calculated and rendered before returning to the main comp. This can add up to a lot of resources.

If you're rendering from the editor timeline, then the composite shot has to be calculated and rendered before it's passed to the Editor Timeline where it then might go through a second round of effects and processing (depending on what you're doing in the Editor).

For the moment, let me assume you've rendered an Editor Timeline that has Composite Shots on the timeline. In this case, once again, proxying the Composite Shot means that Hitfilm isn't having to recalculate and re-render each frame of the Comp. It already exists as a video file, so the proxy can just be read from your drive and passed right to the Editor Timeline. This is much less resource intensive.

• zobo1942

The YouTube video should work now (sorry!) Unfortunately, I need to run out the door to get to work - I'll try to get the other info required when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the replies!

• zobo1942

Version of Hitfilm Pro is 8.0.7.7627.7201

• zobo1942

Well, I reinstalled the software, then rebuilt the shot... and it works fine. Weird. But, solved.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador

Occasionally happens. Glad it's working! :D

This discussion has been closed.