He-Man : Bad Day

DafterThings
DafterThings Website User Posts: 922 Enthusiast
edited May 2018 in Show off

As often happens,  the result didn't match the original visualisation and I really struggled to keep going.

I tried recording the same scenes from different angles which is a right pain for stop-motion. I also had a terrible moment when I realised Skeletor's face was green and his outfit blue. Fortunately,. chroma key effect could handle it after a slight hue change. I didn't realise it would be close to 4 mins which is why it was a bit of a grind for dialog heavy scenes. I find dialog MUCH harder than action scenes when animating. You always feel you're not moving the figure enough and over-compensate. As a result, the heads and arms jerk around.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,951 Ambassador

I'll have to try this again on my computer, not phone. My complaint isn't the animation, but the audio... On my phone (phones are midrange heavy) the BG sound effects are drowning out the dialog. Can't hear most of it. 

"My dad used to love you when he was a kid," is a great line, but I had to back up twice to catch it. 

• DafterThings
    edited May 2018

@Triem23

Yeah. I posted a comment that the audio gave me HUGE problems.

The dialog was recorded in Audacity at the same time and same mic with same settings.

Originally the audio was used to synch the stop motion in Stop Motion Pro. Those AVI were brought into Hitfilm 4 Pro and sounded 'dead'... but that's not unusual. 
    I added the SFX which were various volume levels, adjusted them all, removed the original dialog (by reducing to -60db... is that OK?) and then imported the original dialog mp3. 
    At this point things went a bit 'funny'. The dialog, all at 0db, sounded different. I had to adjust the levels of both the dialog and SFX... often using audio keyframes.
    When I exported from Hitfilm to mp4 I nearly ruptured my eardrums. 

I had to keep going back and re-adjusting the volumes at different places to different levels until the exported mp4 sound OK. I then uploaded to YouTube and, you guessed, it was all out of whack again.
    I readjusted it all again until, on my Win10 system speakers it sounded 'OK'. The skateboarder was never resolved but, as I tried to do panning and gain, I guess it was overcomplicated. The pigeons caused a problem as well.

Add to this the stupid issues (keying Skeletor,  shooting a few hours with the wrong zoom level and having the figures too far apart etc) and, frankly, I'd had enough... so considered it good enough.

I think I need to upgrade Hitfilm to get the audio levels output.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,951 Ambassador

Look up a program called "Levelator." It's out of development, but free and you can still get it. If you have clean dialog tracks it's a lifesaver. 

Levelator was designed for podcasters and its just a combined compressor/limiter - so it boosts vocals up to max volume and compresses the dynamic range.  It does a fantastic job and it's total drag and drop. Just drag in the audio files to want to "levelate" and it will process them and write the output file. Easy. You can drag in a whole folder and it will just batch them all.

You could add the Audio Levels effect (whichever pack that is), but don't overlook your audio panel. You can boost a track's level there as well.

Didn't think about Skeletor's face being green. Huh. Always remember you can key any color. For stop motion you can just grab a sheet of red or yellow posterboard for a couple of bucks. That's more than big enough for an action figure. You could try colored paper if it doesn't have much texture. Red might be better than yellow. Yellow gets close to skin tones.

• DafterThings

Super. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll certainly take a look at Levelator.

• Triem23
    edited May 2018

Oops one thing I forgot about Levelator is it requires uncompressed audio (WAV or AIFF). If your clean dialog is mp3 you'll need to convert it first. Audacity is a free audio editor that can do the conversion.

Here's an example screenshot. The top copy is the original file, the bottom is Levelator output. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/61/Levelator_before-after-example1.jpg

• JMcAllister
    JMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out