Removing People

Is it possible to remove people in videos like the path keyframe in Hitfilm express?

Comments

• chriguf
    chriguf Website User Posts: 287 Just Starting Out

In the pro Version there is a clone-stamp effect to remove parts 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,005 Ambassador

@Chriguf Clone Stamp has been in (base level) Express since Express 2017.

Wilderbeast a lot is going to depend on how you set up your shot. Clone Stamp will copy areas from one part of the frame (or from part of a different frame) to another, but this is really only going to be useful with minimal (or no) camera movement, along with careful choice of camera ange. Moving the camera too much is pretty much going to guarantee that the stamp isn't going to line up. With a wal receding in perspective it's going to be difficult to line the stamp up. With a flat wall facing the camera this will work much better.

This is a second tutorial that uses the Clone Stamp to remove an actor.

Now... Are you trying to remove people moving through frame? Now you have to match up the Clone Stamp source and destination with the moving actor. Have fun with that.

With camera and object movement the next option is Camera Projection. In Express this is part of the "Composite: Toolkit Pack", which is actually one of the better valued packs at $14.99 (Seriously, Projector is one of the most powerful and versatile features in Hitfilm... I thought this would be a $25 pack).

This tutorial covers using projection for Object removal. This was part three of a series, so I don't remember if basic setup of a projector is covered in detail here, but the other two parts of the tutorial series will show you how powerful projector is.

Note that using Projector either requires you to have cleanplates or to go into a photo editor to create one. The bottom line is removing a person from a video is going to take a certain amount of manual work and finessing. There is no "one-click" remove object function in Hitfilm.

Your final option (and this is the one you aren't going to do) is Mocha Pro. Mocha Pro can run as a standalone program or as a plug-in in Hitfilm Pro (only. Mocha Hitfilm is NOT Mocha Pro... Mocha Hitfilm is a cheaper, cut down version of Mocha with the roto and camera solve modules only). Mocha Pro is about as close as you're going to get to just having the software automatically remove a person for you (and it does it well). That said, the Mocha Pro Standalone is $1500. Hitfilm Pro is $300 and the plug-in version of Mocha Pro is $700. Obviously just buying Hitfilm Pro and the Mocha Pro plug-in is a lot cheaper than buying Mocha Pro standalone, but, yeah--you're not about to drop a thousand bucks on thiseffect.

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 486 Enthusiast
    edited May 2018

Slight corrections Triem23, I believe this was the tutorial you meant.(its the prequel) 

Also he doesn't  use clonestamp.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,005 Ambassador

@LiamMcM1 thank you for the correction. 

Doesn't use clone stamp? What did he do, loose mask around a copy of foliage from a duplicate layer? Projection? I guess I need to re-watch that one. 

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 486 Enthusiast
    edited May 2018

Its two masked jpegs parented to tracking points( first on the trees and hill, second on the the rock ). All doable in the base Hitfilm express 4 and 2017 (and of coarse V.8 ).