Forum: CookieNoticeJS Being Obnoxious

GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast
edited May 2018 in General

The cookie notice java script is playing in-your-face when viewing the forum on my Android device. The ugly puke yellow box is hanging over half the screen and yes....I already accepted the policy, cleared cookies and cache and tried it again. Still right in-your-face. Annoying

Please verify your script is working properly for the  known most commonly used devices and browsers. 

Comments

• inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out

Web team has been notified, though they are off both today and tomorrow.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast
    edited May 2018

This happens on my Windows 10, Google Chrome setup as well. The flash is about 100-200ms.

How does something like that get out the door? Unless it is maybe a latency thing.

• JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2018

I see something similar, it pops up every time a new page is loaded and then immediately disappears.

Firefox in Linux Mint.

Edit: I retract "immediately". There is a noticeable delay now, although this was not the case earlier.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,927 Enthusiast

Please fix it! :D

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

I'd like to state for the record I am running into a LOT of sites having a similar pop up issue, not to mention a flood of emails from almost every site I'm on relating to GDPR.

@NormanPCN I haven't seen a flurry of concentrated internet shifting like this since "Y2K."

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast

Yea...since the deadline for GDPR compliance was the 25th of May I think it snuck on a lot of web developers...even though they knew it was coming...or should have anyway.

I can say that my lack of trust in how companies treat the data I give them has led me to take  countermeasures. Most sites I sign up for I intentionally falsify data I give them. Along with my security concerns, and my goal to avoid unwanted marketing, or the risk of having my data resold is my biggest concern.

Between the VPN's I use now along with DuckDuckGo (both home and mobile)  all trackers and cookies are thoroughly confused. Whitelist what you like...block the rest is my motto these days.  To boot I have Facebook ( I deleted but they use trackers on other sites) , Google and Youtube confused between my mobile and my desktop and as a result none of the platform tracks each other history. Love it...

I think with this particular script and the way the FX web team have the forum integrated into the platform they are using is where the problem is as far as the way the script wants to operate.

@GrayMotion

"...I intentionally falsify data I give them..."

Well I can safely say, you're not the only one who does that.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

@GrayMotion @JMcAllister falsify data? Yup. I take pride in how little Facebook knows about me. I like to point it out on "Friend's Day" when FB sends out its automated video celebrating friends... In the last four years FB's algorithms have failed to actually put up a photo of myself or any friends... 

Then again after 9 years my "friends" list is still under 50 people, and most of them are... Hey, I've never met Javert, or Simon Jones. Met Josh Davies once, but never Tony Cee or the Action VFX guys... See a pattern? 

• DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out

@GrayMotion

The cookie notice is working correctly on my Android device (v8.0.0, Chrome). Can you provide any further useful information? We've also tested it on another Android, and in Chrome, Firefox and the Samsung browser.

While we do make every effort to test "most commonly used devices and browsers" before pushing changes like this, I'm sure you appreciate that mobile devices and Android in particular incorporates a massive range.

We are aware though that you may briefly see a flash of the cookie box when you load the page. This is expected functionality at the moment. Exactly how long this takes depends on your device, browser, connection speed and various other things - the cookie notice is hidden by JavaScript when the page is "ready". It may be possible to improve this, but we had rather a lot of stuff to deal with at the end of last week.

--

Finally, while we've known that GDPR was coming into effect for a long time now, those following the situation closely will know that only the dense, legalese text has been available for the majority of the time companies were given to implement it. You'll find there's a massive amount of misinformation and conflicting information on the subject from supposed experts. Guidance from the various national authorities (such as the ICO in the UK) has been slow to emerge, and even last week they were issuing last minute clarifications. It's been difficult to judge exactly what is needed to be compliant without risking putting off visitors/customers entirely (take a look at TechCrunch and other "Oath" network sites for example). It's also expected that things will become more clear over time, as cases are tested and more clarifications issued. So, in that context delaying as long as possible to try to get some concrete answers from our lawyers/Government was part of our strategy.

That said though, even before the changes last week we were in step with the spirit of the new law - we were fully compliant with previous privacy laws, which the GDPR mostly strengthens and clarifies. As a smaller company it matters a lot more to us what our users think than a massive multinational, so it follows that your privacy does genuinely matter to us.

• DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out

Update: We're now hiding the cookie notice via PHP, so you shouldn't see it briefly flash up on every load.

If anybody is seeing the cookie notice still (and clicking Accept doesn't make it go away), please let me know your device, OS, and browser info via a Support ticket.

@DanielGWood update is fine on Android 7 running Opera. Sorry the "plain text rollout" of the guidelines was FUBAR'd. 

• DuranBynesDuranBynes Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out

Works fine for me as well.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast
    edited May 2018

Yep. Wrapping the script in php definitely took care of the notice. Safari (iMac) / DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for Android 7.0 (mobile).Thanks team!

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,927 Enthusiast

Thanks for the fix!

works fine for me also.