Does the Repair Pack contain anything that would be useful for cleaning dust spots from video?

If you film footage, you must have run into this - you know, something like this:

I suppose it's probably something that can only be done in Adobe products, which he's using, but I was wondering about the Repair Pack and its usefulness for doing something like that...

Comments

• JMcAllister
    JMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@MarvinVenusian try using the "wire removal" effect. IMO that's actually easier than the method in that video. 

• MarvinVenusian
    MarvinVenusian Website User Posts: 2

Thanks - I tried Wire Removal, and it works when the color in the spot's position remains more or less constant, but as soon as the color changes or the frame moves and something enters the position of the spot, the distortion is immediate and very jarring, so it's not too useful.

I had  slightly better effects using the Lens Flare, which I put in the spot's position and made it lighten in up constantly. It weakens the spot a little.

I wish Hitfilm had something similar for blur, brightness or gamma - a filter to apply blur, brightness or gamma to a specified point, with adjustable radius; that would probably be ideal for fixing such artifacts. But it doesn't have such options, or at least I couldn't find anything of the sort - only  the usual non-point blurs, full-frame brightness etc.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,551 Moderator

@MarvinVenusian  Could you possibly duplicate your layer and apply a diffuse blur to the entire copy then use the masking tool and feathering edges to hide the areas?  Those masks woukd be adjustable with the path key frame.

• JMcAllister
    JMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@MarvinVenusian

"...a filter to apply blur, brightness or gamma to a specified point, with adjustable radius..."

As @tddavis says, use masks on a duplicate layer. Or, use the effect on a grade layer with masks. Either way I'd recommend doing this in a composite shot if you aren't already. (In fact if you want to use grade layers, you have to be working in a composite shot)

While you're playing around with blurs, maybe try the lens blur effect with the source channel set to luminance