2001 - A Space Odyssey Question

AlDinelt
AlDinelt Website User Posts: 25 Just Starting Out*

Hi folks,

You know the scene near the end of the movie when Dave Bowman is alone in the EVA pod near Jupiter and he goes on a psychedelic trip through the huge monolith/star gate?  This was done using a slit scan effect back in the mid 1960's.  Is it possible to do something like that with the latest HitFilm Express?  If so, would anyone like to do a tutorial on how to accomplish this?  If not a tutorial, a small project file would be great.  I know I am asking a lot, but I have no  idea how I would even go about doing this.

Thanks in advance...

Al

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador

You want this kind of thing, yes?

https://nofilmschool.com/sites/default/files/styles/facebook/public/uploads/2013/08/Slit-Scan.jpg?itok=xtZTILkh

Ok, so, there are ways to get a similar look in Hitfilm with Atomic Particles, but that's a paid add-on. You can do actual slit-scan in Hitfilm using the particle sim, but that's also a paid add-on. 

To stick with no add-ons your best bet is to go into a photo editor (GIMP and KRITA are free) and create a large image (like 1920x10k or more) with a black BG and your pattern. In Hitfilm just import that image, make the image 3D and rotate it into position then either move the image past the camera, or move the camera. Comp the images in ADD blend and experiment with glow and color filters. 

Now, eventually you run out of image. No biggie. Move another copy of the image layer into position. 

Another possibility. Create your plane, move into position in 3D space and add Fractal Noise. Set one color to black, other to, well, pick a color. Adjust exposure/offset settings until you like the pattern. By animating Y-offset in the fractal you get infinite scroll without animation of camera or layer position. Set the fractal effect blend to ADD and you can stack fractals on one layer and use different colors. 

Basically creating an image layer gives you exact control over the pattern. Procedural will be a bit random. 

Besides fractals there are other things you can use to create patterns. Grid, lightning. Most of the Generate Effects. 

Now, if you shell out for the particle sim, I'll link you to the slit scan tutorials, but here's a recreation of the slit-scan Tom Baker Doctor Who intro done in the particle sim. It's actual slit scan. 

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2018

Please note: I don’t think Tony ever did the part three that’s mentioned.

And

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador

@GodofThunder Tony never did the part three. He was going to show a specific 2001-style setup, and *I* was gonna do the second half which was the Doctor Who set up. 

I have a test tutorial completed. It's pretty nasty since I 1) had a crap mic 2) I recorded outside at a coffee shop. 

• GodofThunder

Shame about part 3, was looking forward to it.

• Triem23

Well, maybe I'll stick up the Doctor Who part of the tutorial. The first two parts do cover all the techniques. Part three was just the two setup examples. Probably fun, but not essential. 

• AlDinelt
    AlDinelt Website User Posts: 25 Just Starting Out*

Hi and thank you for the quick reply.  Yes, those are the effects that I am talking about.  Will check out the two videos that you posted.

• Triem23

Problem is those two tutorials are the particle sim tutorials I was talking about above. 

• GodofThunder