How to edit DVD video created by Sony VRD-MC5

DavlonDavlon Website User Posts: 282 Just Starting Out

I would like to use Hitfilm to edit video from a DVD.  

Many years ago I digitized to DVD some family video tapes. I used the Sony VRD-MC5.  It's a DVD recorder that can take the playback output from a video camera.

The files it produces are named as follows:

[disk name].C00   (big video file)
[disk name].C01   (big video file)
[disk name].C02   (big video file)
[disk name].C03   (big video file)
[disk name].RDF   (small data file)
[disk name].RIF     (small data file)

The first video file with the C00 extension also has some kind of disk menu data/images.
When I drag it into VLC, I see the menu -- clicking on one of the menu icons starts the playback.

Hitfilm however, doesn't recognize the video files.  As a workaround,  I was able to convert the video files to .mp4 using WinFF -- but the first video file with the menu information will not convert.  The error message says:  [disk name]: Invalid data found when processing input.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how to proceed?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

You can try renaming the .COx files to .MPG. 

If video files converted to mp4 you can do that as well. 

Menu files will probably not be recoverable. DVD menus use a lot of code. Effectively the background is a video file, but text, menus, and thumbnail icons are procedural media generated in real time.  Nero might do it. I don't remember since it's been years since I ripped a DVD.

Most DVDs have VOB files (Video OBject). That Sony is odd... C0x files are usually associated with WinAce. You might need to track that down to join all the COx files into one.

When you extract video, remember DVDs are interlaced. If you didn't convert to progressive on your extract you'll need to add a Deinterlace filter to all the clips in Hitfilm. 

• DavlonDavlon Website User Posts: 282 Just Starting Out

@Triem23

Thank you --     Renaming the .C0x files to mpg  allowed me to bring them into Hitfilm directly. And the menu in the .C00 file was just the first two frames of that clip.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

Davlon, glad the easy solution worked. Seeing C0x file extensions was a bit confusing since I would normally expect VOB.