Thanos Portal Effect

ZachAlan
ZachAlan Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 446 Enthusiast

After watching Avengers Infinity War and re-watching the trailer, I decided to play around in Hitfilm and try to recreate the "Thanos Portal Effect." Here's my first result:

Any comments and suggestions are welcome :)

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast

Haven't seen the movie, so I can't compare, but that looks wicked cool.

Of course when you post something like that, you get obligatory requests for a howto breakdown or similar. I can see a lot of howto but often the devil is in the persnickety details.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,516 Moderator

@ZachAlan_Productions Looks really good.  I can't recall exactly what it looked like in the movie but that certainly is fine substitute if it's off a little bit.  Good job.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,951 Ambassador

Looks good. I feel like that started with stock footage and procedural elements and uses a Polar Warp... 

• ZachAlan

@Triem23 Nope :)

I originally tried something similar to what you described, and I'm sure it could work, but I figured out a different way.

It's actually an embedded comp with a masked plane. The mask splits open, scales up, then shrinks. This comp is duplicated in the main comp, and each has a different fractal noise applied. On top of all that is a grade with heat distortion. It's quite simple, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Here's the trailer for reference. (Time 1:08 to 1:14)

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,951 Ambassador

That is simple. Smoke fractal type?

Try adding a touch of Bulge to pull the center in a bit. The Thanos effect looks a bit more of a tunnel. 

• ZachAlan

@Triem23 yes for the most part. Energy with a high offset and glow effects for the lightning, and some clouds mixed in as well. Good idea for the bulge!

• inScapeDigital
    inScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out
  • Jacob_Sct
    Jacob_Sct Website User Posts: 79

Looks really cool! great work

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,192 Ambassador
  • ZachAlan

Here's the latest version:

I added a background, made the portal walls a little thinner, and added the bulge effect as suggested by @Triem23

Any suggestions on how to blend this sort of effect with a background better? (The background is a temporary image for reference in this shot)

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,941 Ambassador

Wow dude, nice stuff right here. :)

• Triem23

How is your final comp set up? Let me assume that the portal itself is an embedded comp in a "final" comp and the background plate is below the portal comp.

So, you're getting some minor dark edges at the edges of the portal. Demult and Luma Key can't fix this because those would destroy the black in the center... I say throw a Light Wrap on the portal comp and use the BG layer as the source. Dark areas won't effect the dark edges (which won't show anyway), but light background areas will bleed into the edges of the portal. Try a Lighten blend mode (the default) at 100% opacity and about 20 pixels of spread to start. Or, try using a Screen blend mode, although that will effect all edge of the portal.

It's looking really good! Once you get the edges blended a bit nicer it'll be **** near perfect!

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,988 Ambassador

That looks great!   Mike has some good options there.  

If I were art directing, I would want to see the background distort visibly along the edges of the portal almost like the heat distortion effect.   The current version's visual read is the portal as literally comped over the top of a background plate which makes it appear flat.   It would be more convincing to have the portal interact more with the background.  (Easier said than done.)  Just my $0.02. 

You're making excellent progress!  Look forward to the next version.

• Triem23

@Stargazer54 if the portal is an embedded comp shot he could duplicate it, scale it up a few percent, mute it... Add a Grade layer above the BG and use the hidden layer to drive a Set Matte to choke a Heat Distortion or something.

Very quick to set up since it's just using the existing portal. Change the portal comp and the distortion matte automatically updates. 

Build once, reuse forever as I like to say. 

• ZachAlan

Here's version three:

I took the above suggestions by adding light-wrap to the portal and distortion to the background. I also made the portal colors slightly warmer to match the background.

• Triem23

Just gets better and better! 

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,192 Ambassador

Awesome!  The latest version really looks sweet.  Would love to see this over a live background plate.

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,445 Enthusiast

Looks great. :) My only notes would be: it starts as a narrow slit, then becomes almost perfectly round, then closes as a slightly distorted circle, none of which are quite like the original.

I prefer the more distorted closing shape and think that should be more what the opening is and perhaps add some more random larger scale distortion when it's fully open to break up its 'too clean' circular nature?

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,941 Ambassador

Nice, look at you go. That is awesome for sure. :)

• ZachAlan

And yet another version :)

This time there is some more distortion so it is less of a perfect circle, as well as much more distortion when the portal closes. I also used a duplicate layer with zoom blur instead of the bulge which was causing issues.

@Palacono I decided to keep the splitting open at the beginning because you can't quite see the very start in the trailer and to me this looks good :)

• Triem23

I like it. I think you're ready to move on and stick this on your real background with your exit from the portal. Once you put yourself in there you've added a focal point so we stop focusing on the edges of the effect. 

Nice build, Zach. With the work you've been doing the last couple of years you've really developed some killer skills and are rapidly moving into creating your own effects. 

I humbly suggest you consider making a few tutorials. Breaking something down to explain it to others really fixes the steps and principles in mind for yourself. Keep in up and in 8-10 years you'll be the next Javert!

We all know that's praise. 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,988 Ambassador

@ZachAlan Productions  Excellent progress! I really get the sense that the effect is "pushing" on the background to reveal itself, and then pulling the background back into the center as it collapses.  Very nice!

Like Mike said, maybe time to apply the effect to the actual shot. (But as we all know, every iteration is another test anyway.)  The final "test" (or best test) is what usually makes into the last edit. ;)

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,445 Enthusiast

Nice progression. :) To explain my comment about the split: 2D things split; paper, paintings, etc. so it tended to suggest to me that it was forming from something flat rather than in 3D space. But, you're right in that: when we see it against a moving video background  with a character in front of it,  that wouldn't be apparent anyway.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,699 Ambassador

@ZachAlan_Productions

I agree with @Triem23 and @Stargazer54. This is really good and it is time to move to the next phase... putting this effect into your actual shot. I also would like to see a breakdown tutorial. Great progress and excellent work!

• CleverTagline

Yes, yes, yes! Love this last test, and agree with all the comments above.  Maybe we should ping @OliThompson and get you hooked up to demo this on the HitFilm channel. ;)

• ZachAlan

@jsbarrett thank you! That would be great :)

• maneo11
    maneo11 Website User Posts: 125

Hey ZachAlan_Productions

Im relatively new to hitfilm and am trying to recreate this effect that’s you’ve produced so perfectly.  Would love to know how?

• Triem23

@maneo11 if you start with Zach's second post in this thread he describes his starting process. As you continue down the thread you'll see suggestions from other users and Zach's responses on how he applied them.

He started by animating a mask on a white plane to create the shape. Multiple copies were dragged into another comp and fractal noises were applied. I think there's a Bulge effect to drag the center "back," some Heat Distortion for shimmer and some Light Wrap to blend the edges. Maybe zoom blur?

Anyways, reading through the thread should go over this in a little more detail. 

Hope this helps, maneo. :)

Zach... Seriously, tutorial time. I agree with @jsbarrett. This effect is exactly the type of thing the Hitfilm YouTube channel wants, and, if you can put together a good explanation, they might ask you to do a guest tutorial, maybe. I think @OliThompson and @KirstieT make that call.

I'd suggest putting together a tight outline or a script of your steps. Maybe try a text breakdown here to get feedback from @jsbarrett, maybe @inScapeDigital and even myself. Justin and Javert are very good at getting to the point (I tend to digress into principle too much), but I'm sure all three of us have no problems encouraging a young Hitfilmer into taking those next steps. Like I said before, you're getting into some excellent and complex work, and I think taking a detour into trying to teach will really help you solidify everything in your brain. :D

• spydurhank

Just watched your last clip... what is all this awesomeness!? You're getting good man, getting really good. :)

• Triem23

@spydurhank and he should be going into summer vacation. Three months to improve without juggling schoolwork...