What's better

Maya 3ds max blender light wave Houdini modo wings3d? If I'm missing any add them. Easiest to learn and cheapest

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,275 Power User
    Cheapest is Blender. Which is free. Easiest to learn kind of depends on who you ask.
  • Wings 3d is free. So is unity but I dont know how much of animation it has. I'd like more of a detailed answer, what they have. Learning curve. How amazing visual effects are with each of them
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    If I recall correctly, Wings doesn't do any animation, its just a modeler. Its universally accepted that Blender is not the easiest to learn, but its freeness makes it popular still.  All of them are capable of spectacular results in the hands of a skilled artist, or team of artists.  They also tend to each have specific strengths and weaknesses.You are leaving out Softimage, Cinema4D, the somewhat less well known ElectricImage and the rather affordable Animation: Master.
    I would suggest you start by working up your budget, and see which options are realistically available to you.  Then, try the demos and a few tutorials, and see which interface feels the most natural to you.  which one is easiest to learn will vary from person to person, and depend on what you actually want to do with the software.  The learning curve is inherently very steep with any 3D animation package, because the process is so complex and involves so many different fields (modeling, sculpting, texturing, lighting, rigging, animating, simulations, rendering, etc.)
  • I didn't leave them out, I don't know all programs out there
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,031 Enthusiast
    If you are a student you can get all of autodesk Maya's software for free ;)
  • But then you have to pay 1000s of $ in tuition supplies etc so know real way to get it free. But for any trial does any one know how to restar them. Obviously not officially since you can't do it if you ask companies
  • What about Houdini. I think it has a free version or something

• Nate066
    Nate066 Posts: 190 Just Starting Out*
    edited January 2014
    But then you have to pay 1000s of $ in tuition supplies etc so know real way to get it free. But for any trial does any one know how to restar them. Obviously not officially since you can't do it if you ask companies
    ? its free if your a student, However your not allowed to use it for commercial work.
    What about Houdini. I think it has a free version or something
    Houdinis free version cant render to HD and it's missing almost all the dynamics features and you cant use it for commercial work. Use blender, Its free for noncommercial and commercial work.
    If you are solo and need to get results fast, then Lightwave is the king really, that is why it is so prevalent in all the TV Scifi shows, it can get shots out super super fast, it has a great modeller animator and render engine, it is not cheap though haha
    I dont consider it to be cheap but it is the cheapest software compared to Max,Maya,XSI,C4D,ETC...
  • Max,Maya,XSI,C4D are all from autodesk. And ok if you're a student autodesk is free but don't you have to be in college which cost about the same as autodesk
  • Nate066
    Max,Maya,XSI,C4D are all from autodesk. And ok if you're a student autodesk is free but don't you have to be in college which cost about the same as autodesk
    College or high school.
  • I'm not in either
  • Nate066
    I'm not in either
    Then use blender :)
    http://blender.org
  • I might look for pre made models but also might make some of my own