Body modification

Dharmaint
Dharmaint Website User Posts: 38
How do I show myself turning to liquid like terminator 2 or shatter into many pieces or burst into fire etc. transform into a wolf

Comments

• Nate066
    Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    If you want realistic effects for turning into a wolf or into liquid you need a program like autodesk maya. As for the fire. Mask your actor out then apply the flames effect, stock footage particle simulator etc.. For the wolf it will take tons of time and work without a puppet tool or morph tool. For liquid it's pretty much impossible to get a remotely good looking result without a morph tool and a fluid simulator or tons of stock footage.
  • Dharmaint
    I font have 10000 s of. $ to spend..I did just get a job though. So hitfilm can't do all that? I want to effectively draw the effects, create my own effects and not use pre made ones. I bet ilm does their own but yea I know they are a huge company
  • Nate066
    Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    I font have 10000 s of. $ to spend..I did just get a job though. So hitfilm can't do all that? I want to effectively draw the effects, create my own effects and not use pre made ones. I bet ilm does their own but yea I know they are a huge company

I suggest learning blender. It should be able to do both of the effects however it might take longer then in application such as reflow. For the wolf effect as well. I would learn blender. I would also watch some of video copilets tutorial. Most effects they do there should be possible in hitfilm. http://www.videocopilot.net/ 

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Also, specifically in the case of the wolf transformation, bear in mind you don't have to make everything CG. Some of the best werewolf transformations on film were done many years before computer effects existed. Practical effects shouldn't be discounted.
    Bursting into fire can be done with the Fire effect, but you'll need HitFilm 2 Ultimate for that. I'm currently working on a fire tutorial, as it happens.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador
    It should be noted that companies like ILM and WETA etc DO use a lot of "off the shelf" software like After Effects, Maya, Boris, etc.
    But, as Simon pointed out, practical effects and editing predate CG, and in many cases are still the way to go.
    Turn a guy to water? Start on your actor. Use something like bulge, or quad warp to distort him a bit, then cut to a shot of hisshoes. RUn a tube down the actors pants and pour water out. Cut to a reaction shot, cut back to a puddle--toss the shirt into frame to see it collapse into the puddle. Add sound effects,and it will play.
    For a werewolf, try combinin practical fx with cg. Hitfilm can't do a full morph, but you can do a color change on a close-up of an eye: so turn the eye to a yellow dog eye. Simple masking would let you do a close up of fangs extending...
    Just a couple quick thoughts.
  • Dharmaint
    I guess you'd never do a Star Wars or iron man movie. Full cg characters like yoda or like say a character is turned to ice and shatters
  • Dharmaint

I always hate giving effects examples bc when someone replies and they answer it I feel so stupid

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador
    Hitfilm isn't the right tool for full character animation, but you could use Hitfilm to composite that character into the rest of the scene, and you could turn someone into ice to shatter them in Hitfilm using Atomic Particles and Shatter (but those might only be in Ultimate).
    Never feel stupid for asking a question and getting an answer. Admitting you don't know something and asking is how we learn. And trying to learn is smart. It's more stupid to NOT ask.
    Also, VFX and software are tricky. I have 20 years experience and I still ask questions, or will give a huge answer to a question to have someone else come along and say "or, do it this way, which is easier."
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    CG Yoda and Iron Man digital double-type characters are a whole other area of VFX. You don't use software like HitFilm or After Effects to create that kind of thing. You'd use HitFIlm to composite the animated character once he's been created.
  • Dharmaint
    Would studios use blender for full nudelesbians or make their own software? Watching Freddie w is just like Jesus, how dies he do it. I wish maya/3ds max were cheaper. I also wish hitfilm could do what maya and 3ds max could do. I got express for free. In hitfilm could I make vines and have them ground around objects?
  • Dharmaint
     I don't knew what full thing I was talking about. And videocopilot uses a lot of plugins that cost money