achieving 3D depth in Hitfilm

DiscoTroll
DiscoTroll Website User Posts: 62
Hi -
I've been watching some of Andrew Kramer's Video Copilot tutorials and one technique that I love is taking a 2d image and making it look 3D. One tutorial is a camera drop down through the ground and emerging in an underground carpark and he uses a very fancy technique of image projection (basically projecting a 2d image onto some 3D planes to achieve perspective when the camera moves).
I was just wondering how best I might achieve the same sort of effect with Hitfilm. Would love to hear suggestions.
Thanks,
DT.

Comments

• Prospero
    Prospero Website User Posts: 127
    Disco troll, I think this is what you are looking for?
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    Do you have a link to the original effect you are trying to replicate? A clearer understanding of the projection you mention would be useful in explaining how to get similar results in HitFilm.
  • DiscoTroll
    This is the one:
    Submerged
    Rather than the work that Simon has done, it is the ability to have an 'inverted' space, like looking into a 3 dimensional box.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    Ah, a very cool technique there. As best i can tell, you can't exactly recreate this in Hitfilm using projection, as the options for allowing Light Transmission aren't in place. However, if you used three copies of the garage image, instead of three solids, and just set them up in the same 3D configuration, so that they overlapped in such a way that only the floor, back wall, and ceiling were visible on each of their respective planes, I think you could get similar results.
  • DiscoTroll
    Yes - I've been working my brain on this in the meantime and know where you're coming from with this solution. I'm going to give it a bash this evening and see where I get to....
    Will obviously post results so we can see how things look...
  • AxelWilkinson
    Awesome, I look forward to it. I'm a bit curious to see how effectively it works.
  • DiscoTroll
    Fairly scruffy but really pleased with the overall effect:

I've clearly not cropped the back wall and floor correctly, giving me some bent pillars. Was acheived by pasting the ceiling, floor and back wall to three 3D planes and stretching the images out to appear correct when viewed from the camera. Just put in some dummy pipes and flickering light to disguise how flat the ceining is, then put a reflection of the light flicker on the floor to give some 3D space.
    Really excited about the potential of this....
  • AxelWilkinson
    Ooh, very cool, especially for a first attempt. That does hold a lot of potential; I can see how if you took the time to properly set that all up and add a bit more detail, it could be totally awesome.
    Its very exciting to see people taking the software and stretching with it, trying new things, experimenting and exploring new concepts.