Get the Continuum VR Unit for FREE

Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 934 Enthusiast

Is anyone aware of this awesome sale that is going on?  I got it the vr unit for free.  For more details go here,  https://borisfx.com/products/continuum-units/continuum-vr/

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador

Cool. You can be the guinea pug that sees if it works in Hitfilm. Boris doesn't list Hitfilm as a host and, last time I talked to Boris, they said they had no plans to add Hitfilm compatibility to BCC. 

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast
  • Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 934 Enthusiast

@triem23 it does work.  When I bought Vegas it also is bundled with another BCC  Plugin p. So the BCC plugins do work

• JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@Triem23 I think you're confusing "compatibility" (it works in theory) with "support" (if it doesn't work, we will help you fix it)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador

@JMcAllister or neither my BCC 8 or BCC 9 run in Hitfilm at all, and, when I directly spoke to Boris on the release of BCC 10 they directly told me BCC 10 didn't work in Hitfilm and they had no plans for compatibility? 

I do mean "compatibility"  and not "support." OFX is a somewhat generic standard, but a plug-in maker usually has to do some work for individual hosts.

Sticking with Hitfilm and Vegas as our examples, the 0,0 point in Vegas is the top-left corner, but in Hitfilm is the center of the comp. Minor difference, but it would mean something would have to go into the code to account for position differences in effects presets. Vegas OFX effects place the center point with a small graph where you move a point around the box. Hitfilm doesn't use this interface. Coding would be done by Boris to account for these interface differences.

I find it more likely Boris actually coded Hitfilm compatibility into BCC 11 but never updated the website--this speculation would be based off Boris' own site listing "Hitfilm 3" compatibility for Mocha Hitfilm and BCC 3D Units all the way through the Hitfilm 2017 cycle, when the website finally listed Hitfilm 4 (which had ended development).

But you can check on Boris's site right now and it will not list Hitfilm as a "compatible" OFX host, so I stand by my statement. :) Even when BCC 11 was released for OFX the initial release was "Resolve and Nuke, Vegas coming soon!" 

If BCC 11 actually works with Hitfilm, great! I've been waiting years to update and Hitfilm compatibility was what I was waiting for. 

• Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 934 Enthusiast

@triem23 bcc does work with ofx

@Andersen01498 reread my above post. 

• JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@Triem23

I apologise.

I was under the impression that differences between host applications was entirely dealt with by the host. Having taken another look at the documentation and the header files, I see that is not the case. (Or at least not entirely the case.)

Sticking with your example of the (0,0) point, it seems the plugin can request a property from the host which tells it whether the (0,0) point is the top left corner, the bottom left corner, or the centre of the frame in that particular host, but it's still up to the plugin to actually use (or not use) that information. So I guess it's possible to write a plugin that would only work in one coordinate system and thus be incompatible with hosts that used a different coordinate system.

So it's not "host-specific" but I concede that in this case I was wrong and plugins can follow the standard and still be incompatible with a host that correctly implements the standard.

(although IMO that ought to count as a bug in the plugins, but that's another story)

edited May 2018

@JMcAllister No prob. I actually picked a poor example! If we look at, say, Hitfilm Ignite, we'll see that not all effects work in all hosts--again, because of differences in the host's capabilities.

Oddly enough, NewBlue's effects worked in Hitfilm a good two revisions before NewBlue listed Hitfilm as a compatible host (I'm still running old 2008 versions).

BUT the key thing seems that BCC 11 can be seen by Hitfilm Pro (I'll certainly want to check this myself). :D

Although I'll note that Boris lists BCC 11 as being compatible with "Sony Vegas 13," not "Sony Vegas 13/Magix Vegas 14+," or even "Vegas Pro 13+." Boris makes great plug-ins, but they're TERRIBLE at updating their site for compatible hosts.

@DataDesign guinea pug!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d8/8c/fb/d88cfb9f2ab693a01bab45295da19923.jpg

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast
    edited May 2018

@Triem23 Oh sure, I forgot about those. They came thru the Star Gate recently with SG1. Nice one, looks like a real prize winner.

• zcreamzcream Website User Posts: 81

Man. I should have downloaded this... Anyone have the installer for giveaway :-)