How do you make a Clock wipe within a Composite Shot?

I'm having the hardest time figuring out the strategy for a clock wipe within a composite shot.

I tried using Set Matte and a square that rotates around, and while that works, the initial appearance of the square creates a problem. AKA, the clock wipe effect only works for the 270 degrees OTHER than where the square starts.

I'm sure there is an easy way, but I keep banging my head against the wall with what seems like overly complex ways.

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,067 Enthusiast

Interesting. I  tried something quickly animating a mask. Here is what I got. As the mask moves around you have to move more and more mask points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnKlGy1XP4

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,956 Ambassador

Create a black plane.

Put a white plane on top of it. 

Animate the white plane to slide off to a side. 

Create a Grade Layer above the planes. 

Add Polar Warp to the Grade.

Set inner radius to 0.

Set Outer Radius to fill the screen.

You just created a black and white Wipe animation. This is an element of a Source Layer comp for a Set Matte.

Set Matte Settings will be a Luminance Matte. Blend Mode  Subract. Invert if needed.

Now let's say you have a 10 second clip with a one second wipe. You either need to create a Source Layer Comp that is a nine second white plane followed by a one second wipe, using this Source Matte for the whole ten seconds or, cut the last second of the footage of and just use the Wipe as the Source Layer for the last second. Whichever is better for you. 

• Juda1
    Juda1 Website User Posts: 299 Just Starting Out*

Create a new comp as matte for the wipe. Inside create a white plane, set off anchor to half height and rotate it -90 degrees to cover the right side of screen. Call it white wipe. Duplicate it, set rotation to -90 degrees to cover the left side and call it white background.

Now keyframe rotation of white wipe to rotate 360° over time. Now you are half through - the first half looks good, in the second half the white on the left needs to disappear and the upcoming white on the right may not show up again. For that add a black plane call it Black BG and set it on top.

Now go to the middle one frame before the first half is done. Keyframe opacity for both white and black background. set black BG to 0 and white background to 100. Step one frame forward and do the opposite: Black to 100 and white to 0. That's it. Now use that comp as a matte for the clip to dissolve.

I recorded what I've done, hope this description and the video helps.

• Juda1
    Juda1 Website User Posts: 299 Just Starting Out*

@Triem23 I raelly need to read about the polar wipe. My solution is a bit more work and it's the second time I missed the polar warp....

• gooseeclipse
    gooseeclipse Website User Posts: 5

Wow, this is great, thank you for the help with this. 

@Triem23, I have a few questions about your solution:

- When I applied my polar warp effect to the grade, my outer radius maxed out at 1024, which didn't quite cover the full corners. How would I make that bigger?  I tried increasing the scale of the grade, but that didn't seem to affect.  (edit: when you add the black/white radial wipe CS to another composite shot, you can then increase the scale to cover everything)

I saved the "wipe" as a composite shot (Radial-Wipe-CS), then I brought that CS onto another CS to test it. I had two images, and I couldn't quite figure out how to apply the Set Matte effect to wipe one image on to the next.

- The new CS had 3 Layers: imageA, imageB, and the Radial-Wipe-CS created per your instructions. I want imageA to wipe away and reveal imageB. 

- Will I have to apply the Set Matte effect to BOTH images, one with Blend: Subtract, and the other with Blend:Add? (so one disappears with the wipe and the other appears with the wipe?

- What is the order these need to appear in the composite shot?  Radial-Wipe-CS on top? In the middle? at the bottom?  ImageA above or below ImageB?

Thanks.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,307 Ambassador
    edited April 2018

@gooseeclipse To force Polar Warp to fill the frame after maxing out the Outer Radius property, set the Wrap Y property to Reflect.

I would actually suggest a variation on the method described by @Triem23.  Instead of two planes, just use one, the one you animate.  Set Matte creates an alpha for the layer on which you add it, so it's an extra step (even if it's more mental than technical) to make a luminance-based source that you're going to convert to drive the alpha channel.  With one plane, you'll have the alpha immediately.  Need it reversed?  Check the Invert box in the Set Matte effect.

To have Image A wipe away to reveal Image B, do this:

• Put Image A on top of Image B in the layer stack.
    • Put Radial-Wipe-CS at the bottom of the layer stack, and turn off its visibility
    • Apply Set Matte to Image A.  Set Source to Radial-Wipe-CS.

Depending on how you set up your wipe comp, you'll either have Image A wiping on, or wiping away.  If it's the opposite of what you want, check the Invert box in Set Matte.  Easy peasy.