Iron Man : Desperation

DafterThings
DafterThings Posts: 984 Enthusiast

A bit happier with this one (mainly because it was quicker to pull together). Still learning though.

Comments

• ScottReid
    ScottReid Posts: 145 Enthusiast

Loved the in helmet bit. :)

• DafterThings

Thanks @scottreid

The Hitfilm tutorials for the HUD, repulsors and the UFO engine all came into play. My versions are far from perfect but I found myself learning so much more from them by using them for my own purposes than when I followed them originally.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Posts: 477 Enthusiast

"My versions are far from perfect but I found myself learning so much more from them by using them for my own purposes than when I followed them originally."

You have learned what a lot haven't. A tutorial is a tool to show you how to use the effect/process to modify for your own work. This is a big improvement and I really liked it. Nice job!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

"I found myself learning so much more from them by using them for my own purposes than when I followed them originally."

Like @FlyingBanana78 says, you've absorbed the most important lesson from a tutorial--to use the tutorial as a starting point to explore, create and refine. Coincidentally, the Iron Man HUD tutorial has one of the mst sad questions I've seen in it's comments. A user asked how one would do the HUD looking OUT of the helmet, to which, of course, the answer is, "The same way one does the HUD looking INTO the helmet, except without all the extra steps of tracking and rigging points."

I'll shout out @FilmSensei on this sub-topic as, twice, he's taken one of my tutorials and expended that into another tutorial showing alternate methods of doing the technique I'd shown. In both cases he saw options I hadn't, and, in both cases, I missed what he saw as I was already planning a supplemental tutorial using yet another method! (One of those tutorials isn't out yet, but, now that I'm not working six days a week, hopefully I can get that finished for next week!)

Guess I should say "fun short," here now. :D

Incidentally, you asked a couple days ago how to get Iron Man to fly faster as he got closer to the camera. The solution given at the time was to convert from 2D to 3D and do a 3D movement instead of a 2D scale, but, if it comes up again and you ARE using a 2D element, you'd set up a manual bezier keyframe and draw the curve to accelerate. :-)

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador
    edited April 2018

Nice little short, I didn't get any audio, was it meant to be there?

EDIT: Well I checked at the time that another youtube video made sound, but now it is working.... oh well.

• DafterThings
    edited April 2018

@Andy001z There *is* supposed to be audio. Nobody has mentioned it missing before and I definitely hear it. You have me worried though.

@triem23 thanks. I did go for a manual Bezier keyframe in the end but might have made some mistake. It did look better but I'll need to research how to use them a bit more.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

@Andy001z I got audio on my smartphone and laptop. Double-check for the small possibility you had your own volume down or speakers on mute?

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

That was a really fun short film. I could hear it fine. Desperation indeed! :)

PS: Thanks @Triem23 for the shout out props, and keep making those tutorials! I love them and I learn so much.

• DafterThings

@filmsensei many thanks.

The next video I have planned will include a flying hammer and shield so I'll need manual Bezier again. Javert's tutorial on the Value Graph was really useful. 

Of course, if any Tutorialiers (yes I made that word up) want to add it to a to-do list it'd be appreciated.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

@Tonyg even better with sound, got the jokes now, so spot on about the UK toilets always being closed when you Weeely need one.

• rutxer
    rutxer Posts: 176

A very fun take expanding on the tutorials.

And I liked a lot the last bit, the cards and subscribe bit!

• DafterThings

Thanks Rutxer. 

The idea for the last bit was also triggered by a tutorial from Red Alert on creating  the Iron Man computer hologram.