New Marvel Intro (Work in Progress)

ZachAlan
ZachAlan Posts: 453 Enthusiast

I decided to take on the challenge of recreating the new Marvel intro sequence. The following video is more of a proof of concept video than the final result. 

This was done in Hitfilm Pro also using Boris. No rendering was done from other software. (Blender was used for 3D modeling but not to render anything)

I see many improvements that need to be made, but if you have any suggestions or questions let me know :)

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

There's some minor stuff that you'll be tweaking, but I'm impressed at how closely you've managed to get your video textures to map the inner edges of the text. I'm guessing there was a lot of trial and error to get the texture composition at the correct size and aspect ratio to line up. Much like your At-At walking it's one of those things I knew was theoretically possible, but would take more time than I had to get down. Right now your version could be exported as a template where textures could be customized, but, if I'm right about your approach, the textures would have to be completely rebuilt if the "Marvel" was changed to any other word. 

Great work, Zach! Can't wait for your final version. 

• JMcAllister
    JMcAllister Posts: 593 Enthusiast
  • Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,435 Ambassador

@ZachAlan_Productions Very nice!  My head hurts thinking about doing texturing inside the letters without 3D rendering. 

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

Really cool effort, love the videos on the lettering and the pull out scene.

• OliThompson
    OliThompson Staff Posts: 149 Staff

@ZachAlan_Productions Wow! This is amazing - Any chance of a breakdown at some point? I'd love to see how you did it :)

• twhitworth
    twhitworth Posts: 119 Just Starting Out*

Good work. I've always marveled at those marvel opening sequences

• ZachAlan

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Here is the latest version (logo part only)

I'm noticing a lot of flickering and I'm not sure why this is happening. It's not just an export bug because it occurs inside Hitfilm as well. Any ideas?

@OliThompson Sure I'll consider doing a breakdown :)

• ZachAlan

Does anyone know a cause for the flickering?

• ZachAlan

I fixed the flickering for the most part. I think this is the final version for this section of the intro. Let me know what you think :)

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@ZachAlan_Productions Looks smooth to me.  What did you find causing the flickering?  I thought it looked fine the first way; isn't it supposed to have a little flicker like the pages of a comic book flipping in the Marvel logo?  Getting all the random clips to fill the sides must have been a nightmare so kudos to you.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

Nice piece of work.

• ZachAlan
    edited April 2018

@tddavis It isn't really supposed to flicker. I see what you mean, but it is a bit irritating to watch and is unexpected behavior from the software.

It seemed that the cause was using a material preset for the brushed metal part of the 3D model in Boris Title Studio. Using a flat color material or removing that part of the model all together fixed it. I decided not to use Boris for the metal part and used Hitfilm's 3D model import instead so now it properly matches the 'studios' text.

@NormanPCN thank you :)

• ZachAlan

Here is the final version!

Hope you enjoy it! Any feedback or questions are welcome :)

I made the song as well using a free version of Cubase that came with my microphone. It's not the greatest being my first song but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

• Triem23

Just damned impressive work, Zach. 

• rutxer
    rutxer Posts: 176

Very impressive work! I enjoyed seisee the evolution from 1st proto (which was already pretty great) and the final version!

• ZachAlan

@Triem23 @rutxer thanks glad you like it :)

Unfortunately it can't really be "template-ified" because it uses a 3D model for the text, and everyone else's text would need a new model. I guess a partial template could be created with a tutorial for the rest?

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador

Supa-sweet work there!

• Juda1
    Juda1 Posts: 299 Just Starting Out*

Nice work, Alan. My favorite: The projection Inside the Letters at the end. Very impressive!

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@ZachAlan_Productions Finished  sequence turned out super nice indeed.  A lot of learning right there.  Hope you do make a tutorial either for part of it or a template without the model and just do that step by step.

• Triem23

3D model? Hmmmm. I can see how to wrap the moving texture in Boris, but, if you used a model, I'm not sure how you wrapped video around the letters... Unless one can load a video as a texture file? 

• ZachAlan

@Triem23 could you describe how to wrap the videos in Boris? I thought it would take too long to try and slide the videos around and mask them so the happen to fit on the face of a letter. Maybe you know a better way than what I was thinking?

I thought it would be faster to use Boris Title Studio for only the INSIDE of the letters. 

In Blender, I used the text tool and extruded the text. I edited the mesh so each side of the letter was one face (except for the curves). I cut this text out of a cube shape. Then I UV unwrapped the different parts - the inside and the box border. I made sure that the faces of the inside text part lined up in a nice way in the UV map, then exported the UV layout as a high-res image. This way I can mask and position the videos to line up with the faces on the UV map.

• Triem23

@ZachAlan_Productions what you did was smarter, trust me. Nothing wrong with using more than one program to do an effect, and what you did is basically how the real logo would have been done. 

In Boris... You get a texture to wrap around the sides. Basically you'd have to do a lot of experimentation to figure out a proper aspect ratio to make something that would wrap correctly, figure out where each video clip had to go to fit, and it would only work with the exact text you'd figured out, since changing the text would change the aspect ratio of the texture comp again.... 

You can almost picture it as if you had to do all your UV maps in Blender on a single long rectangle except you have to figure out for yourself the size of the rectangle. It would be a lot of trial and error, be a pain to set up and not look as good as what you did. 

I should have just realized you did this the smart way--Blender for the bit Hitfilm can't do, compositing passes together.

Again, impressive work. 

• ZachAlan

@Triem23 thank you! I originally tried the method you described except I had a few problems, mainly the fact that my computer couldn't handle having 1920 by (what ever number of video's widths) to create the long strip. I tried doing this in a lower resolution, but then the text only showed on the small strip instead of filling the frame.

Also, how would you get the videos to appear inside the text? I tried lowering the front material opacity but no material seemed to render on the interior faces.

Either way having  a UV map for alignment is much easier. Maybe with the new geometry effects we will be able to use videos as the side textures on text some day...