Avengers : Minor Dispute

DafterThings
DafterThings Posts: 984 Enthusiast

My  first stop motion...

Blimey stop motion is SO difficult. Anyway, I made many mistakes but felt it better to complete, learn and move on than torture myself trying to put it all right.

What do you think?

Comments

• ScottReid
    ScottReid Posts: 145 Enthusiast

I enjoyed it.

Very nicely done.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Posts: 477 Enthusiast

Are you using onion skinning for the stop motion placements? Or are you just doing it by eye? Either way it looked pretty good. Some audio work would possibly be a suggestion, especially for Iron Man's voice it seemed a little too tinny and a bit distorted/clipped.

• DafterThings

Thanks all.

I do use onion skinning but also stop motion version of roto-scoping which was less necessary the more I animated. I can see how experienced people wouldn't need it. 

Completely agree with Iron Man's voice. A few too many echos in Audacity :-)

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@tonyg Everyone has already covered my thoughts, so +1 to theirs.  And I totally agree with you about stop motion being so tedious and time-sucking.  I've only played with in a class I took and was glad to leave it behind. :)

• DafterThings
    edited April 2018

The pros : It does allow you to do things you wouldn't normally be able to do (or have the budget to do) in live action..... but the time it takes. Phew!!!It does also feel satisfying to bring some degree of life to an inanimate object.

The cons : At this scale (those figures are 3.5 cm) any move can ruin the scene. Camera nudges are a nightmare but everything is amplified. You can recover to some degree but, at times, you simply have to start over.  You also need to plan your shots even more than live action as reshooting a different angle is so time consuming.  

I only used 12 fps so have a lot of respect for those using 24+ even for hobby-level animators. I don't even want to think about the commitment for something like Kubo. There is a behind the scenes look at the animator in action.... takes a special kind of patience.

I've not been put off doing more .... just yet.

• OliThompson
    OliThompson Staff Posts: 149 Staff

I really enjoyed this @tonyg - I'm really impressed with how it came out especially considering it's the first stop motion you've done! I'm looking forward to seeing more :)

• DafterThings

Thanks Oli, much appreciated.

Next on the list is an Iron Man sketch.
    Time to revisit the Hitfilm HUD and Repulsor tutorials