Morphing And Warping In Hitfilm?

cluelessnubecluelessnube Website User Posts: 476 Just Starting Out

I'm wondering if/how morphing and warping effects can be achieved in Hitfilm.  I'm particularly interested in working with faces.   To start a discussion, here's a link to what seems a relevant product.

=============

http://revisionfx.com/products/reflex/

Check out a demo video here:

They have a plugin for AE but it seems not Hitfilm? 

=============

I used to use Mac software called Morphage Pro to do warps and morphs in video, but the company no longer sells it, and it only works in Snow Leopard and not later versions of OSX.  However it was cheap (around $50 or so) and was easy to use.

The company still sells a version for still images which I love and still use regularly.

https://creaceed.com/morphage

=============

I've recently discovered the Bulge feature in Hitfilm which is a step in the right direction.   What else along these lines is possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• ThomekkThomekk Website User Posts: 79 Just Starting Out

I have no answer for you - but came to the same question some time ago.
    https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/46201/hitfilm-express-best-way-to-morph-one-figure-into-another
    -> Triems answer shows a link to some progs for win. I tried them, but got stucked and found the results not that much for my liking (morphing a figure into a number), didn't try a pay software so far - maybe I just have to get more understanding and practise (see the suggestion by FlyingBanana78).

The bulge-effect is cool (though I did not see a way linking a bulged layer to another on) and so the video you posted here.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador

@Thomekk @PhilTanny I still think a dedicated morphing program would be better, although I don't own one and the link posted in the other thread was just results of a Google search. 

In Hitfilm itself, the Bezier Warp tool is probably the best bet in Express. This breaks the image up into multiple sections that can be warped by pushing points and tangents around. Problem is one would have to individually warp both layers. 

In Pro the best tool to try would be Puppet. One could put puppet points at eyes, nose, corners of mouth, forehead, chin and cheekbones, then push those points into position. Again, both images would need puppeting.  

Either method requires manual setup for the cross dissolve. 

Puppet is actually somewhat close to how a dedicated morph works. With Puppet created a big step is laid for a future Morph effect. Shall we wishlist? 

• cluelessnubecluelessnube Website User Posts: 476 Just Starting Out

Thanks guys,

Yes, a dedicated morphing/warping app would be fine, but I can no longer find one that works with VIDEO.  I do have a good one for images (linked above).

However, a work around is to warp an image, which creates a video, which can then be imported in to Hitfilm.

I will try the Bezier Warp tool, which I didn't know about.  Thanks for the suggestion!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador
    edited April 2018

Hey, here I was in this thread saying Bezier Warp, and, lo and behold, here's Tobias at Surfaced Studio showing you how it's done! 

• ThomekkThomekk Website User Posts: 79 Just Starting Out

Hey,
    thanks Triem!
    Great Tutorial - ok, with lots of steps but that's how it goes (and fortunately with on board fx from Express either) - all understandable shown and explained. Congrats on inviting Toby to the Hitfilm Channel!

With a complex effect, there are always a lot of steps. :)

Tobias does excellent tutorials. Among the best! But Forum Moderators aren't Staff, we're user volunteers. :) I was as surprised as everyone else! 

My favorite bit is, of course, the toast... And pretty much everything he did for that is in the tutorial... Except two keyframes. 

Yes, Tobias does great tutorials, agreed. 

However, when it comes to morphing and warping, it would be more productive to focus on learning from tools (indeed, old tools) that perform these functions far better than Hitfilm.

Here's one on the Mac side:

https://creaceed.com/morphage

Although that tool is only for images, the same company has a video version of that tool.  They stopped selling it when Apple made fundamental changes to their video technology, thus making their video warper obsolete.

Point being, the technology for effective video morphing warping has long been available, so it could be added to Hitfilm if deemed important enough.  I can't say how such a project might compare in importance to a million other upgrades to Hitfilm which are surely under consideration.

@PhilTanny Obviously we agree a dedicated morph program would be better at this point--heck, I said it in this thread on March 31!--but the warp tools in Hitfilm can do some simple morphs, so it's good to know how to do it.

As far as Hitfilm adding dedicated morphing? Well, the warps already exist, and the puppet tool tesselates a layer into geometry, so half of the work for a morphing (and Liquify) tool has been done already! We'll see if the devs add that soon. However, based on the last couple of update revisions, I think the current focus on Hitfilm is more about optimizing workflow/interface/editor improvements than adding in more VFX filters. I can, of course, always be wrong as I merely extrapolate from what I see happening. :-)

Yes, I agree that there are MANY ways in which Hitfilm development might proceed, and adding enhanced morph/warp tools is only one of them.   Although morph/warp is of interest to me, I don't really have any idea how important other users would consider such features to be.

I see what you're saying about the Puppet Tool, that is encouraging. 

Oh well, we'll always be able to think of new features faster than they can be coded.  :-)

• Juda1Juda1 Website User Posts: 300

I think not all effect is something that needs to be added if it can be reproduced otherwise. Reminds me on the praised freeze-frame effect in Vegas 15 which can nearly be done the same speed by hand. Or even quicker in HF with speed set to 0 on one frame :)

Of course morphing is a nice thing and some sort of special thing but I personally never missed it a way I needed an effect to it. Where I needed morphing I'd use quad war as Tobias did or when regarding faces using different mask keyframed with different paths and opacities.

• dancerchrisdancerchris Website User Posts: 76 Just Starting Out

Cool video.  You might have already noticed however about half of the "morphs" are just hidden cuts on motion.  There are a lot of YouTube vids on how to do that and the motion hides the cut, but it tricks the eye to a morph look.

@dancerchris goid common sense approach. Anecdote: I was working on a music video where we wanted the "magician" to make people's clothes change as they danced/sang. I talked with the director/producer and got them down to only one full shot of the change (and, where it was just a color change, not the full outfit). That took the effect down to one shot with roto and color filters (and some additional sparklies for fun) After seeing the transition once, everything else was hidden by cuts. Showing one transition established the "story." After that... Start some sparklies on costume A, cut back to the singer, cut back to the dancer in costume B "reacting" to the "transformation" as residual sparklies die out.

One could go "halfway" on this--starting the morphing with a bezier, cutting away halfway through the morph (the part most likely to look terrible, anyway) to a reaction, then back to the end of the bezier warp.