.avi error

TheFlyinFox
TheFlyinFox Posts: 12
edited March 2018 in HitFilm

Can't use .avi in a project

I'm trying to make a little movie but when loading my clips in HitFilm Express it gives an error...

I saw another discussion about this and followed the steps but I wasn't able to figure it out...

Here's one of the clips' MediaInfo: 

Video
ID : 0
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Codec ID : H264
Duration : 14 s 300 ms
Bit rate : 17.2 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.277
Stream size : 29.4 MiB (96%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : 1
Duration : 14 s 280 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 705.6 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 1.20 MiB (4%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 70 ms (2.09 video frames)

The exact problem I'm having is when I put my clip into avidemux like someone said earlier an error occurs saying the audio isn't compatible... What should I do? 

Thanks in advance

(posted this twice sorry)

Comments

• Can't use .avi in a project

I'm trying to make a little movie but when loading my clips in HitFilm Express it gives an error...

I saw another discussion about this and followed the steps but I wasn't able to figure it out...

Here's one of the clips' MediaInfo: 

Video

Audio

The exact problem I'm having is when I put my clip into avidemux like someone said earlier an error occurs saying the audio isn't compatible... What should I do? 

Thanks in advance

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

Your MediaInfo report does not list the file type. You say it is AVI.

If true, then AVC video is not supported in an AVI file. Actually AVC in an AVI container is something of a hack and prone to many problems.

You are probably using screen capture software. Have that software output the AVC video into an MP4 file container. If your screen capture software does not support MP4 with AVC then it's probably time to look elsewhere. AVC in AVI is something that should never be done.

You should be able to remux or transcode your existing files using VirtualDub or ffmpeg directly. As for transcoding, VirtualDub is good. Handbrake might be able to handle it as well.

I don't see any problem with the audio. It is listed as normal 16-bit PCM  (uncompressed) audio.

• The videos are from a very bad gopro knockoff called nilox Mini F. 

Here's the complete MediaInfo to confirm it's  .avi

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Paul\Videos\Ordino Vids\SUNP0001.AVI
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 30.6 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 17.9 Mb/s

Video

Audio

I don't know if I understand it... Should I use VirtualDub  to change my vids to MP4?

Thanks for responding

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

You don't say what you're trying to do with Avidemux but there are some things it won't do. It won't copy an AVC stream from an AVI (see NormanPCN's comment about AVC in an AVI  being a very bad idea) to an MP4 and it won't allow uncompressed PCM audio in an MP4 under any circumstances as that would make an out of spec file.

What you can do is import your AVI, set the Video Output to copy, set the Audio Output to AAC or AC3 and the Output Format to MKV. After it makes the MKV, you can import that back into Avidemux, set video and audio to copy and select MP4v2 as the output format to end up with a working MP4. 

You could try using Virtualdub2 to transcode to Cineform or Handbrake to transcode to NormanAVC but there's no way to tell if either one will handle your file as is. 

• Thanks for responding so fast! 

I'll try to do what you say with avidemux Aladdin, although it oes seem like a bit of a long process

Do you have any idea on why the camera uses this weird format? It also gives me an option to export in .mov but I thought it was more for Apple... Should I use that from now on? 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

Using Avidemux is a bit of a process with your source files to get a working MP4 file without transcoding the video. It probably is just as easy to use Handbrake and transcode the video using the NormanAVC settings.

Virtualdub2 is what you want to use to transcode to Cineform. Cineform is the best performing codec for HitFilm but the files will be much, much larger. Steps for doing that are here:

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42015/how-to-use-virtualdub-filtermod-to-fix-vfr-issues-and-convert-to-cineform

MOV is going to be the better choice to use in camera. To use MOV files directly in HitFilm, you'll have to have QuickTime installed but you can probably get by with just changing the extension to MP4 to see an increase in performance.  Even if you still have to transcode, you'll have a much easier time dealing with MOV's than you will the AVI files your camera produces.

• Okay so I decided to try VirtualDub. I got confused a few times but thanks to the wonderful guide I think I did all the steps right. I have checked the one file with MediaInfo and it indeed popped up as cineform. But... it still doesn't let me import it to hitfilm...

Here's the full MediaInfo specs just in case: 

Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 136 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 79.8 Mb/s
    Writing library : VirtualDub2 build 41552/release

Video
    Format : CineForm
    Codec ID : CFHD
    Codec ID/Info : CineForm 10-bit Visually Perfect HD (Wavelet)
    Bit rate : 79.1 Mb/s
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.271
    Stream size : 135 MiB (99%)

Audio
    Duration : 14 s 297 ms
    Stream size : 1.20 MiB (1%)
    Interleave, duration : 34 ms (1.03 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

I just noticed I skipped one step... Installing GoPro Quik but... why and when do I need it? Or is it only when you have GoPro footage?

• NormanPCN

"I just noticed I skipped one step... Installing GoPro Quik but... why and when do I need it?"

GoPro Quik installs the Cineform decoders for AVI files.

What version of Hitfilm Express are you using? The current Hitfilm Express 2017 has native support for Cineform. It does not need the Cineform video decoder installed. Hitfilm Express 4 does not have native support for Cineform and must have the decoder installed for import into Hitfilm.

• Thank you! I do have HItfilm Express 4  so i'll download gopro quik and try again

• I'm still really confused... I installed GoPro Quik  and nothing changed. Actually... when I process the videos through VirtualDub they don't have the tipical screenshot as an icon... Just the orange VLC cone (which I have as preset media player)

• NormanPCN
    edited April 2018

You will get significantly better performance from Express 2017 with Cineform AVI files. Hitfilm performance, any version, with Video for Windows (AVI) files leaves a bit desired compared to other formats. Cineform in Hitfilm 2017 and later performs the best.

Express is free and you keep any previously purchased expansion packs with newer versions.

GoPro Quik has had problems with its Cineform installers. At some point the install became broken. Quik 2.3 is known to be good. 2.5 was bad. I don't know about the current 2.6. For just Cineform decoders you can use this installer.

• Alright I think I'm almost there :) 

Now when I import the videos it starts loading but then hitfilm just crashes...

Any idea why this could happen?  

I can't say this enough: THANKS!

• NormanPCN

No idea. You probably should contact support. If Hitfilm sent a crash report then mention that in your support request.  It might help them diagnose the  source of the error.

By "starts loading" do you mean the spinning circle animation over the thumbnail in the media panel?

• What I meant with start loading is exactly what you said :) 

I'll contact support then! 

Thanks for all your help! Really appreciate it

This discussion has been closed.