Inherit new media to an existing keyframed media

G'Day from Australia, guys,

I've been using a nunmber of editing programs and have been weaning myself off them and coming more and more to HitFilm for a number of reasons, and I may just stay with it forever if I can find out how to do a few more things.  Namely:

I bring in a clip or a JPG, apply some effects and do a bunch of keyframes to them, and then I duplicate it.  How do I now drag the next picture that I want to do all those exact same effects and keyframes to, into or over that existing copy and have the new media jump into the old one to now have all of those effects applied?  In Premiere, you just hold down Alt while you drag the new image over it and it will automatically inherit all those effects and keyframes.  Same in SpeedEDIT. 

But I can't find that mentioned in Hitfilm as a possibility.  And I am not talking about 'Relink Offline Media'.

Best,

Mutley Eugenius

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

I'm 90% certain the Alt+drag does the same thing in Hitfilm. I believe, in a Composite Shot an Alt+drag replaces the single instance it's dragged to, and, in the Editor it replaces all instances on the Edit Timeline.

If Alt+drag isn't it, try Ctrl+drag. I'm 95% certain ONE of them does it.

Another commonly used possibility is to create a "Media Holder" composite shot, then embed the media holder in another Comp and apply your effects and animations to the embedded layer. In this case you'd just drag the replacement media into the Media Holder comp.

Either method should work, so it's down to workflow preference. That said, one can load any or all Composites from project A into project B using the "Import Composite Shot" function. In the long run the Media Holder might be better as your Media Holder and Animation comps can be saved as their own project to become a "Template" or "Preset" project you can load into other projects.

Also, if you have specific effects chains, an effects chain can be highlighted and right-clicked and saved as a preset to your Effects Panel. Now that chain is a drag and drop preset for any layer!

• MattNallMattNall Website User Posts: 4

Hmmm... I've tried dragging the new JPG from the media bin onto the ealier JPG blue block on the timeline, with Alt and Ctrl and Shift, I've tried dragging it onto the name of the clip as listed in the Composite Shot layers hierarchy, with all those keys and all it does is drag a new instance into the timeline, but doesn't replace/inherit.  I do this A LOT!!! So I want it to be feasible and very very fast. 

Have you done it on yours?

• Juda1Juda1 Website User Posts: 300

I don't know any drag and drop option but I do it with copy and paste attributes: On source layer do Copy (CTRL+C), on target layer do past attributes (CTRL+SHIFT+V). 

I've been doing that too, which is OK, but nowhere near as fast when you have to do it for all the effects keyframes as well as the transform keyframes.  Hence my search. 

I may have to make it a feature request.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,300 Ambassador

@Triem23 said...

"Another commonly used possibility is to create a "Media Holder" composite shot, then embed the media holder in another Comp and apply your effects and animations to the embedded layer. In this case you'd just drag the replacement media into the Media Holder comp."

This is what I always do. It is so easy to swap out picture files in a "Picture Place Holder" Composite Shot, and it takes almost no time at all to set up.

You can actually do this for several assets in your project. For example, I will set up "Texture Place Holder" Composite Shot if I need to use a texture as a height map, a Matte, etc.... Again, I can simply put a new picture of a different texture in there if I want to easily swap out my texture.

Another example might be a background music placeholder. If you have certain times in your video where the background music needs to be keyframed to a lower volume and other places where it needs to be higher, you can create a "Music Place Holder" Composite Shot to put the music into, then keyframe the Comp. If you then need to change the music or slide it forward or backward in the timeline without losing those keyframe attributes, it is very easy to do so!

@MattNall: I just wonder (Triem23 mentioned that way also): When you have to do it for so many layers why don't you a) make a preset or b) put them in a comp and assign the effects to that comp?

Of course I don't know what exactly you are doing and which effects you use. Also if that are many layers I assume they are smaller than the target resolution so parts of the lower layers are visible. If so I would put all those in a comp and animate the comp only. I mention it in case you don't know.

OK, so here's an example of what I do.  I have a deck of cards on the left hand side of the screen, and I take the first card and make a keyframe animation to make it float up, rotate 360 degrees and then land on the right hand side of the screen.  I want this same exact motion to occur to all the other 51 cards right after it with about 3 frames staggering between them.

In other programs, once I've done the first, I just copy and paste it 52 times each on a new layer 3 frames apart, and then hold down Alt while I drag the new card JPGs one by one onto all the subsequent copies.

What would the fastest way of doing that be in hitfilm?  Save a preset and then apply it to each one?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Copy/paste the keyframes? 

3 frames apart? Then you can't see the symbols of the underlying cards, right? In that case I would fake the other 51 cards...

I'm just trying out something, coming back later...

This is what I did quick and dirty. It took me a few minutes longer since I had no cards. Just an example with 12 cards - is that what you are trying to achieve?

Before you ask: I downloaded a map of 52 cards, made a comp called "card" which was the size of one card and added that picture. Then I moved that picture so it shows the first card. After that I duplicated the comp, called it card 1. Then for 11 cards I moved the picture offset, duplicated the comp again and called it card 2 and so on. At last I created a comp same size, inserted a plane and did 4-color-gradient just to have a card background. I made a comp instead of using the plane directly so later I can replace the content without modifying the main comp.

Now in the main comp: I added all cards. Then I added the back, moved it 0.01 units deeper in Z space and duplicated it 13 times. Next I created a point for the first card, parented the first back to the card and the card to that point. Then I and animated the point.
    To get the time-shifted animation I did the following: First copy the point. Then for every card: step x frames forward, paste the point, parent the back y to card y and the card y to point y. That sounds complicated but goes very fast. If you ask why I used points:
    At the end I found out that the animation was not right, so I changed it using the first point. After that I did copy, highlighted all other points and did paste attributes. Since all point layers start with a time offset there was no need to adjust anything else. And that's it.
    Maybe someone knows a different way, but this one worked and took (after finding and creating cards I didn't have) about 20 minutes.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@MattNall With what you describe I don't understand why copy and paste attributes wouldn't work or why think it would take so much more time. 

"In other programs, once I've done the first, I just copy and paste it 52 times each on a new layer 3 frames apart, and then hold down Alt while I drag the new card JPGs one by one onto all the subsequent copies."

I would place all 52 cards in a comp as layers first with your 3 frame offset, keyframe the desired movement on the first card, right click and copy (or CTRL+C) this layer, multi-select the remaining 51 layers, right click again and select Paste Attributes (or CTRL+SHIFT+V). A popup will open asking you what attributes you want to paste. All effects and all keyframes are selected by default so all you have to do is click ok or hit enter and your done.